When will people learn to mind their own business?! A waitress has been reprimanded after she swapped a pregnant woman’s cocktail order to a virgin cocktail.

Turning to online forum, Reddit, the waitress asked whether she was an asshole for serving a pregnant woman a non-alcoholic cocktail?

The woman explains she has been waiting tables a group one night when they ordered a round of cocktails.

As she passed the table again she overheard them talking about how one of the women was pregnant.

“About five minutes later, they called me over again and asked for another round,” she continued. “At this point I started getting concerned, but I took the order and cheerfully said I’d be right back. This time, I went to the bartender, and asked him to make one of them a virgin cocktail.”

reddit

“Mrs. Pregnant” joined in the nights fun unaware her drinks were non-alcoholic. And even though the bartender had marked the cocktails as ‘virgin’ on the table’s receipt, she didn’t notice at first and they left the restaurant without incident.

“Several minutes later Mrs. Pregnant woman came back and asked what (virgin) on the receipt meant. I fessed up that it meant non-alcoholic,” the post continued.

“She blank stared me for a few seconds and then asked if she had ordered a non-alcoholic cocktail. I said no, but told her that I assumed she wanted one seeing as she was pregnant. It was a lame lie and I’ll admit it, but she looked me in the eye and asked me to return her part of the tip. I did so. Then she talked to my manager.”

The waitress revealed she’s been stood down indefinitely, with everyone at the restaurant believing she did the wrong thing.

“I stood my ground and told her that I’m not going to be responsible for FAS [Fetal Alcohol Syndrome]. She told me that she was taking me off the calendar until she decided what to do with me,” she added.

“When I talked to my mother and father about it tonight, they told me that they understood my position. The entire staff at the restaurant is against me and I think that I’m going to call in and tell my manager that I quit, but I still feel in the right here.

“I would like some perspective on this,” she concluded the post.

Her post sparked a huge debate with thousands of people commenting in less than 24 hours.

“Unless you saw the woman pee on a pregnancy test, you had no way of knowing for sure that she was pregnant. She could have been talking about someone else,” one person wrote.

“I’ve spent most of my working years in food service, and half of that time has been in management. If I was your manager, I would’ve fired you on the spot. While I agree that pregnant women shouldn’t be drinking, you NEVER change a customer’s order without their consent,” was another response.

“You don’t get to decide what another person of legal age decides to consume. Mind your own business,” a third commented.

AITA for serving a pregnant woman a non-alcoholic cocktail? from r/AmItheAsshole

Do you think she did the wrong thing? Join our discussion below.

Read more:

• Whether acting out of the best interest or not, she did the wrong thing. If she was really that concerned she could have asked the lady if she would prefer a non alcoholic cocktail, not just assume to give her one.

• All jobs have aspects that may conflict with our beliefs but you need to get on with it. Customers choice

• Customer service is to provide a professional service and not to judge and alter a customer request regardless of personal beliefs/values.

• Yes, the waitress was in the wrong. When she struggled to serve this pregnant lady, she should have asked one of her co-workers to serve her.

• I don’t thnk it was her place to do this even though she did it out of morals

• Never amend anyones order, her baby her problems later on. No different to serving an alcoholic your not going to help nor stop the issue.

• The waitress should have spoken to the pregnant lady first and let her make the decision. I’m wondering if the ladies swapped cocktails anyway. I wonder it the alcohol crosses the Placenta at all.
    If the unborn baby is allergic to alcohol she could have lost her baby. I knew of a guy who was given a type of alcohol to raise his heartbeat following surgery. It did that but a couple of hours later he had a fatal reaction to the alcohol according to autopsy. He had never been an alcohol drinker so they didn’t know he was allergic to it. He left behind a wife with a newborn.

• The pregnant woman is going to be a terrible mother is she isn’t willing to sacrifice 9 months without alcohol. She’s clearly never known anyone with FAS. If she thinks pregnancy is hard then she’s risking something she will never be able to cope with.

But…

Its the pregnant woman’s decision and stupid as she may be, its her right to be stupid.

• Yes, she did the wrong thing. What if next time she changes an order for someone with an allergy? It’s really none of her business, either. The furtherest she should have gone was telling the whole table that “we have non-alcoholic drinks available”. Also, the fact she wanted to edit the receipt before the customer saw it suggests she knew she was wrong.

• While I can understand her position in wanting to do the right thing, she probably should have brought it up with the customer at the time of order e.g. “sorry I couldn’t help but overhear you’re pregnant and I’ve heard it’s not recommended to drink alcohol while pregnant. Would you like a non alcoholic beverage?”
    Yes confronting, but then it is the customers choice to make an informed decision. They may not have been aware, they may have told you to butt out, they also may have informed you it was in fact not her that was pregnant. So many scenarios, but she should have been up front. It was not her choice to make.

• Bit of a complicated situation really!

• In a professional sense she did the wrong thing but in a personal sense she did what she felt was right.

• While I understand her dilemma it wasn’t her choice.