Mum sparks massive online debate after asking whether pram-only parking spaces are for parents with children who can walk or those with prams only.

The woman posted on a local Facebook community group after she noticed that ’90 per cent of the parents that park here can walk and don’t have prams’.

‘Are these bays just for parents (with kids) that can walk or just for prams only for like kids like newborn or that can’t walk because 90 per cent of parents that park here there kids can walk and don’t have prams?,’ she posted.

The post attracted close to 200 comments, with mothers and fathers disagreeing about the nature of the parking spaces, shares Daily Mail.

While some thought it was perfectly fine to use the spaces with toddlers, others disagreed entirely.

‘I use them with my toddler sometimes as the spaces are bigger and you need to open the door wider to get them out of the car seats,’ one woman wrote.

‘Anyone can park there. Literally anyone! It’s a recommendation not a law,’ another added.

What is the law?

Daily Mail shares that according to the NRMA, the parking spaces with a distinctive pram symbol are not enforced under the law.

Any driver can legally park in these spots – but a car park management have the right to ask someone to vacate the space if they don’t have a pram or infant.

It’s at the management’s discretion how they choose to enforce parent parking rules.

NRMA said the right thing to do comes down to ‘common courtesy’.

Do you use the pram only parking bays at all?

Share your comments below

• I don’t understand the need for these parks as you’re able bodied, there needs to be more parking for people with disabilities as I can never get a park even through I have a disability, yet ther are heaps of pram parking spots go figure!

• I’m a disability pensioner too, I agree that there are often more parking for prams then for the disabled, one of the shopping centres I go to, told me I could park in the parking for prams, it’s amazing the looks you get

• There should be more people enforcing who can park in these spots. I have an infant myself and find these parks convenient when I can get one that is. Many times have I gone to park in them to be beaten by someone who doesn’t have children at all. Personally I find it disrespectful. Parents with older children I don’t believe should park there. I believe they should purely be used for people with babies infants and toddlers. It’s hard enough trying to drag around an infant to the shops etc. having a larger park that is closer to the entrance makes life so much easier.

• You poor thing. I never had the luxury of a reserved parking spot. Back in the day where you parked where you could. And just like everyone else ,survived. Carted your groceries to your car like a pack mule, whilst keeping control of your kids. With the advent of these positions parents let their kids run around whilst they pack their cars. I had kids literally run out in front of my car, and those parents oblivious to where and what those little darlings are even doing. So my advice, park your car and just get on with it. And you never know they might bring in valet parking for such overwhelmed and busy mums like you.

• Unfortunately for everyone concerned the Parents with prams are not covered under the Law. They are placed there by the shopping centres & if the management ask you to vacate the spot then you must comply. Same goes for some that i have seen at some shopping centres are a seniors parking spot. THE ONLY one of the 3 that is covered under the law is the DISABLED Parking Spot

• My local major shopping complex(Southland) has such spots and the parking bloke told me that he can only enforce the law on people illegally in handicap sites and overstayers. Centre Seniors cards have long been discontinued. Not to say people won’t park in Handicap sites(I will only be a couple of minutes) or drive around with a pram that is never used, use someone else’s Handicap sticker.

• I can understand the need for them especially when parking spots are so narrow. Whether a pram/stroller are used it is the space that is needed to open the door wide enough to get a child in and out of a car seat. I have two adult disabled daughters, both are intellectually disabled , not physically, and I know how difficult it is to get them in and out of the car due their size, lack of co-ordination and the narrowness of parking spaces.

• In my opinion this comes down to a little thoughtfulness towards others. When others are in more need for this parking spot then yourself, then leave them to be used by others.

• Parents with newborns and toddlers should be entitled to use them and there should be more at shopping centres. You do need much more space to get them in and out of the car. I don’t mind seeing elderly or disabled persons using these spaces either as they also need more space and convenient parking however those people that just use it because they are too lazy to walk is just a joke.

• If you really feel that you need to be that much closer to the doors then you probably should be able to park there. Otherwise leave them for others who need them. Basically – don’t be selfish :)

• Sometimes I don’t take the stroller out but the space is needed to get her out of the seat!

• We don’t usually use them now our kids are older; but I have a disability, so my husband sometimes pulls in to let me out of the car close to the shops, then parks elsewhere.

• At some shopping centres you have to apply and get a permit sticker and keep visible in your car. It is very difficult to put a newborn up to toddler size into the car and hold the door so it doesn’t hit the car parked next to it. The parking bays in some shopping centres are VERY narrow. Certainly not wide enough for vehicles like some 4WDs or People Movers which are wider than a lot of sedans are. Most sedans are no longer wide enough to fit a combination of 3 baby / booster seats. In some of the older models you could fit 3 but they jammed together and just about touching the car doors.

• I wouldn’t use them just in case a parent with a pram needs it.

• Unless it requires a permit then anyone can park there, regardless of the signs.

• I’ve never parked there. I always thought it was just with parents with small kids.

• I have never understood why people complain about this so often. It is a courtesy spot. Anyone can park there. If one is free, park there. If it isn’t, park somewhere else. I had someone get shitty with me for parking there when I had my baby in a carrier. I happily sat in my car breastfeeding my baby because that woman wanted the spot. Too bad for you, lady.

• One comment in the article says anyone can park in these spaces, is that right? Me, I would think they are for parents with young children, not necessarily ones in a pram.
    But if it’s true that anyone can use these spaces, that’s it’s a recommendation not a law, is that also the case with disabled parking spaces?