Sri Lanka is Lonely Planet’s No.1 travel destination for 2019 – here’s why its the perfect holiday spot.

Since 2009, following the end of its decades-long civil war, the popularity of Sri Lanka as a tourist hot spot has been rising rapidly escape.com.au reports, with the island nation named as Lonely Planet’s No.1 travel destination for 2019.

Defying All The Odds

If the idyllic beaches, pristine countryside and affordability are not enough to convince you, the friendliness of Sri Lanka’s locals is second to none. New direct flights, along with a surge in hotels and tours, have encouraged Aussie tourists to swap destinations like Bali and Fiji in favour of Sri Lankan hospitality.

“Already notable to intrepid travellers for its mix of religions and cultures, its timeless temples, its rich and accessible wildlife, its growing surf scene and its people who defy all odds by their welcome and friendliness after decades of civil conflict, this is a country revived,” Lonely Planet said in their 2019 guide. “There’s now more than ever for families, adrenaline junkies, eco-tourists, wellness seekers and foodies of all budgets.”

We’re already looking up flights on SkyScanner.

Exploring More Remote Areas

Fear not – Indonesia still makes the grade as the seventh best travel destination for 2019, however, the guide encourages tourists to travel to more remote areas, such as Sumatra and Komodo, in order to truly experience all that the country has to offer.

But what about the rest of the list? The top ten countries might surprise you:

1. Sri Lanka

2. Germany

3. Zimbabwe

4. Panama

5. Kyrgyzstan

6. Jordan

7. Indonesia

8. Belarus

9. Sao Tome and Principe

10. Belize

All this travel talk has got us looking up how many annual leave days we have left and wondering who can look after the dog for a couple of weeks! With December to March the best time to visit, we could use a nice break after Christmas to relax, unwind and explore all that Sri Lanka has to offer.

Which of Lonely Planet’s top ten holiday destinations would you like to visit? Tell us in the comments below.

• I must admit, none of these are on my top 10 list of places I want to visit. I prefer word-of-mouth and safety/security.

• Sri Lanka has always been on my to go to places list. It looks amazing.

• I’d LOVE to go to Sri Lanka. Delicious food too.

• I would be concerned about the safety of some of these places, please check before you book.

• I’ve never been but I have family there so it is on my list.

• I didn’t realise Sri Lanka had beaches like that. Absolutely gorgeous need to get more cultured me thinks

• I would love to travel and see them all!

• All these places sound lovely.

• Sri Lanka sounds like a beautiful country Bali is too crowded not my favourite place to go to

• I’ve never been to Sri Lanka. It must be beautiful.
    Here in WA they are saying that Broome is the new Bali! :-) Because finally the price of the flight is becoming more affordable.

• I would rather stay in Australia, Broome is gorgeous, I got to enjoy it many years ago before it got touristy. We have the best beaches and a lot less travel and hassle to get their. I guess it depends on what you are travelling for, if it is just relaxing on the beach just support Australian tourism.

• I love traveling, but it’s very expensive when taking 4 kids. I visited Germany, Zimbabwe and Kyrgyzstan of this list. I’m happy to do Africa again as my sister lives there.

• Some of the destinations on the list do surprise me. May be worth looking further into as possible destinations for travel.

• I’d love to visit them all but overseas travel is a while away for us.

• As nice as these places might be, I’m more then content to Holiday in Australia. So much to see and do and I don’t have to worry about a passport

• Me too, rather support Australian jobs. We have the best beaches and a lot cleaner.