Dust off your gardening gloves and get ready to get dirty with the kids. We’ve just heard that Woolworths is soon launching a new collectable campaign, called Discovery Garden.

We’ve barely had time to take a breath after finishing our Woolies Lion King Ooshies collection and placing the last mini in our Little Shop 2 folder. But the next collection is around the corner….and it’s going green.

A few weeks ago, we speculated that the next collectable campaign would surely be a ‘greenie’ initiative, similar to New Zealand’s Little Garden Campaign. We initially predicted that Coles would be the one punting these new earthy collectables. But we’ve just heard that Woolworths are the ones actually bringing Discovery Garden to Australia.

Coming Soon

A Woolies spokesperson has said:
“Woolworths is excited to confirm that we will be launching Woolworths Discovery Garden in September, a new collectable designed to give Australians of all ages the opportunity to grow their very own fresh food.

“Woolworths Discovery Garden is based on the internationally successful ‘Little Garden’ which has previously been rolled out in countries such as New Zealand and South Africa.

“We are excited to give Australians the opportunity to engage in the program and look forward to sharing more details of what customers can expect closer to the launch date.”

Woolworths Discovery Garden

This One’s For The Greenies

Those recycling rangers who have been quick to lambast the retailers for their unnecessary use of plastic in collectable toys, will rejoice the eco-friendliness of Discovery Garden. No plastic in sight.

The promotion involves giving customers a seedling kit and various seeds when they shop at the supermarket. In the New Zealand stores, there was also adorable merchandise on offer, such as children’s gardening gloves and watering cans.

Shoppers got pretty passionate about the project and loved sharing photos of their growing plants.

Support

Parents are already showing support of the new compostable campaign.

When we announced this news on our facebook page, most mums responded favourably:

“I like the idea of this. But it won’t be collected it will be used!” said one comment.

And another: “About time to do something useful, instead of adding to the landfill problem.”

“Finally a great idea, not just for the kids, great for everyone especially the environment.”

A few others were just over the whole things before it started:

“I’ll say it! Boring,” said one.

“Enough already,” remarked another.

Are you excited about Discovery Garden? Are you going to take part? Tell us in the comments below.

More on Mouths of Mums

• I like the sound of this.

• I can’t wait for these to arrive in stores. What a great initiative

• I am so excited for this. Good on Woolies. As an ecologist I know just how devastating our plastic pollution problem is, and how much the campaigns like little shop and ooshies contribute. It’s great to see this kind of initiative and I’ll definitely be shopping at Woolies for this.

• I can’t wait for this, it will be a lot of family fun creating our own veggie garden and then cooking meals together from our home grown ingredients.

• This such a great promo and one I can fully get behind

• Finally they have listened to the majority and ditched the plastic! I think this is a great initiative, although I think adults will be more excited than the kids!

• Great idea! But I think more adults will be excited about this compared to kids!

• something for free is always great. I don’t imagine my son will be interested though

• Fantastic idea, I am looking forward to something for myself, my kid is a bit too big for it, love a free pack of seeds and just in time for spring planting. Although for parents it is probably a bit too close to the last promotions, should have a little break first I would think.

• Im no green thumb so I’ll leave these to those who enjoy a bit of gardening

• Woohoo! I remember when they did something similar, well it was gardening and information about different fruits and vegetables, years ago. I loved the little shovel that was available. Keen as mustard to get involved with this. Can’t wait!

• Yes this is way more better than plastics. Cant wait!

• Super excited for this one! This one is good for the environment!

• Love love LOVE THIS! Mr 3 has just discovered his love of plants so this is a brilliant idea!

• Now THIS is a collectable campaign I can get into! I have always hated the mini collectables and the Ooshies but this I am actually really excited about and will definitely be getting involved!