Magic time is special one-on-one time that only you as a mother can give your child.

It is about putting all the washing, cooking, cleaning and work duties to the side to spend quality one on one time with your child.

Magic time is where a child’s self-esteem will be boosted, as Mum is spending time with just me – “How special am I”! It is also a time when we can be a role-model to our children, showing them how to play, share, communicate, discuss and interact with other people.

80% of children’s learning is done through role-modelling which is a powerful tool for us Mothers to use.

Magic time does not have to be hours long or a chore for us to do. It is really all about getting our time management right to be able to co-ordinate some down time with our children. Whether it is waking up 10 minutes earlier or spending less time on social media or letting go of our need to have a perfectly cleaned house.

Your children do not care whether or not every single section of the kitchen cupboard is cleaned spotless or if their singlets are ironed! All they care about is spending time with Mum. These are the moments that they will look back upon once they are older to cherish and remember their Mum. Not if the beds were made perfectly or the cobweb underneath the TV cabinet is cleaned! It is about making those special memories and moments to last a life time with your children.

We often forget that we are only blessed to have our children with us for a short-time before they head out into the big wide world!

It goes fast, so enjoy every moment and create those special times with your children.

Leave your children a legacy of spending amazing time together rather than a legacy of having everything perfect!

How can you spell some magic time into your relationship with your children today?

• I find it very difficult to spend one on one time with each of my 3 children. I want to prioritise this but how do you when you have 2 other children with you all the time? And if I get hubby to look after the other kids then how does he ever get this one on one time?

• Kids enjoy the simple things – this is a great reminder to get back to that!!

• The kids and I have a night were we just turn the tv off put the music on and dance like silly monkeys :-) its alot of fun and giggles

• Sometimes it takes articles like this to make you stop & rethink your actions-thankyou

• The kids and I really enjoy our special times.

• An interesting read thanks for the article

• Years ago I read that giving our children eye contact and our full attention during one to one time contributes to the development of an appropriate level of self-esteem. Depriving them of this contributed to attention seeking or rebellious behaviours. Now I give my grandchildren lots of eye contact and my full attention : )

• Some of my most precious memories of my childhood are the times I spent helping my Mum to cook different things. A lot of memories are very hazy, but those are as clear as if it was yesterday. Spending time together, encouraging creativity and imagination in your children, will remain in their memory for much longer than how clean the house was, or whether everything runs to routine.

• great reminder:)

• a good reminder, children are like magic to me. they see magic in everything

• Great article but I would change ‘time with mum’ to ‘time with each parent’ or even ‘time with each carer’ to include fathers and carers who also play a pivital role in their children’s lives.

• I thought my son was going to have a heart to heart with me this afternoon. He said mum can we talk? I put down the washing and said yes. I sat on the couch with him and said what’s up mate? He said “What can I have to eat?”………………..yes very deep and meaningful.

• Maybe your son was plucking up the courage to start a conversation about something and he felt nervous about it.
      I knew a guy who would sit on the dining room table and swing his legs before he would say what he wanted to, epsecially if he wasn’t sure what the response from his parents would be.

• One on one time is creating memories for the future and my I just add, is just as important for dads as well. :-)

• So true…Our babies really do grow up so quickly. It will only be when you look back that you will see how fast that time went and thats when you feel sad that your babies have grown.
    I do miss those days where you didnt have to worry about school or anything other then what you were going to do together that day.

• Yes agreed that school does add a whole new dynamic to our worlds! X

• Finding the time is the hardest thing to do with their busy social lives, but my oldest who is 5 seems to remember every time we do something special with him one on one. Months later when we are talking about things he comes up with mummy remember when we did this or that when i was little in the oldern days ( which could of been last week). Which i think is so cute i just hope my other kids remember things the way he does.