Hello!

16 Answers

Dr says to wait a week and gave ear drops. Wondering if should refer for sedation or GA sooner. Anyone have experience with this?


Posted anonymously, 30th August 2021


Want more real mum questions sent to you?


You'll need to check this email to complete your signup.
Ask your question
  • I’m lucky my boys never did this but if you’re worried definitely get a second opinion. If something foreign stays in the ear for too long it could cause some permanent damage to the hearing.


  • Never hurts to get a second opinion if you’re concerned!


  • It’s been a week since you posted this question, did the ear drops have result ? have you gone back yet to the GP ?


  • The drops should work and no one wants surgery so early – so wait the week. Alternatively get a second opinion from another GP


  • If you’re not happy or unsure, get another opinion.


  • Our daughter has Autism and shoved a little round bandaid in her ear at school we didn’t know for 18 months she needed sedation and it pulled out, her hearing was affected had we known it would’ve saved her a lot of pain. Try olive oil too, if bugs or anything is in the ear greasy will get it out, no sticker can stay sticky when soaked in oil for up 10 minutes then try to flush with ear and nasal flush it should come out easier, but please don’t wait too long it can cause unknown damage internally to the ear canal. Good luck wonder mum.


  • Get a second opinion. You don’t sound like you are happy with this response and you should always trust your gut feelings.


  • Don’t be afraid to go for a second opinion, you are allowed to trust your gut instinct.. In my experience not all Doctors are to be trusted as my mum was misdiagnosed by a Doctor. The worst that can happen with a second opinion is that tell you do the same thing, which isn’t really that bad anyway.


  • Cant help but I hope it will come out by itself. Good luck


  • I’d follow the GPs advice, but if things change or you get worried, I’d go to emergency.


  • another opinion definitely. Go with your mum instincts


  • I would seek a second opinion, if in doubt hopefully sorted soon it is a worrisome scenario.


  • It’s a little unclear as to what kind of label it is and how it’s attached. If you’re worried about waiting I’d go back to your GP, call 13 Health, or go to the ED.


  • If still concerned maybe contact your GP. Go with your gut and seek further advice if needed.


  • Yes, I would follow advise from the Gp too and go back when you have concerns.
    You could also try an ear rinse with lukewarm water and a syringe


Post you answer
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

What is your answer to that question?
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account


Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your answer and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating
Join