17 Answers

I have recently discovered that I have an almost three-finger width separation. What can I do? Are there exercises I can do at home or is this something that requires external intervention? Thanks in advance.

Posted by mom72567, 12th November 2014

Want more real mum questions sent to you?

You'll need to check this email to complete your signup.
Ask your question
  • I don’t know. I’d ask my GP.

  • I had separation after my second. I was told to hold the muscles together while I did sit ups. Not sure if this will work for you

  • Find a really good personal trainer or physiotherapist.

  • You can get support shorts but they are very expensive, pelvic floor exercises are meant to help and so is time. After giving birth a physio advised me I had a 3cm gap and this was normal. Depending when you had your baby maybe time will heal or head to a physio. Sit ups make the problem worse I was advised

  • I had the same problem after birth. I wasn’t allowed to do any exercise until the issue was fixed. You will need to have it wrapped for 4-6 weeks to bring it together again. I was given a wrap at the hospital I gave birth in but I must admit it was uncomfortable. Id definitely go see your doctor. Good luck!

  • Following – good luck :)

  • I also had the same thing the pelvic floor exercises help and also the hospital should of refered you to a physio after giving birth.
    They made me a wrap for my stomach this helped so much.


  • Yep ..like other moms have suggested a good physio is the way to go. all the best to you.

  • I would suggest gentle pilates and yoga, but definitely seek the advice of a good physio. Good luck and take care.

  • like others suggest a physio would be a good option.

  • I would recommend seeing a physio as well. In my experience, GPs know nothing about this problem – I spoke to several different doctors during other routine visits after one of my births when I had substantial separation, and each GP told me something completely different (one said there is no such thing!)

  • I would be making a trip to your local physio, they will be able to assess the situation and let you know the best exercises for you. Also, pilates would probably be a good place to start. Good luck

  • Exercise will help . I also have the same problem. I have bought the exercise dvd from lose baby weight .com , they have some exercise inside about muscle sepreation

  • yeah i think that you should see a doctor and make sure that you are ok. good luck

Post you answer
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

What is your answer to that question?
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your answer and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating