78 Answers

I would like to ask a question in regards to my children. Currently there is, a family law court order in Australia in regards to my children spending time with their father. He has them (is suppossed to, every second weekend, first half of school holidays, fathers day, Christmas on alternative years and 4 hours on his and their birthdays Also he can ring them every Wednesday, which he no longer does). Recently my ex has moved down to Sydney with no warning, just a text message the day before Father’s Day saying he has moved to Sydney. I am living in QLD which is where the court order was done. I would just like to know if I went through court would I be able to go for full custody of our children as he has started to show no interest in his childrens lives. When living in QLD he often said he could not have the kids on his weekend. Apparently from what my daughter told me his GF always yelled at them and said she didn’t want the kids going there because she couldn’t control them.
Has anyone else gone through a similar thing? Would love some helpful advice on what I should do. Thanks. Do you have any advice in regards to child custody?

Posted by anon, 11/09/13

Want more real mum questions sent to you?

You'll need to check this email to complete your signup.
Ask your question
  • Yes, I would seek legal advice too

  • I guess it is something that often happens in families, over time things change and arrangements may need to be worked out differently. It is best to talk about this with him and try to sort it out. If there are court orders these will still apply, even if your situation has changed. Get legal help. A family relationship centre or other dispute resolution service may be able to help you to work out a new arrangement.

  • Goodluck with this, I hope it turned out okay.

  • there are some good comments here

  • Did any of the advice help?

  • I think the best bet would be to talk to your lawyer. They’d have the bet advice

  • I hope it goes well :)

  • Maybe talk to your lawyer to see what they think. I would have thought that the fact he moved to Sydney would work against him anyway.

  • I hope it all works out for you

  • I hope you sort out something

  • This is never an easy process when it comes to child custody. Best of luck.

  • Good luck – I hope you were able to use some of the advice below.

  • good luck with everything thanks

  • Yes from personal experience keep copies of everything no matter how small.

  • keep a log about all conversation that you have keep all email text ect your ex can not take take your child out of the state without your permission as the court oreder was done in queensland an if the girlfriend is alway yelling at them then you have a good chance of full custody the courts see that as mental abuse but remember keep a log/if you can record conversations even better

Post you answer
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Add a photo
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your answer and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating