20 Answers

We will be travelling withing Australia by train later in the year. We would like to purchase travel insurance but there are so many to choose from. Has anyone had successful claims for canceled trips, stolen items etc and can recommend a good, reliable and reasonably priced travel insurance?

Posted anonymously, 6th April 2014

Want more real mum questions sent to you?

You'll need to check this email to complete your signup.
Ask your question
  • I mostly fly so the only Insurance I get is tgrough the airline when I book online

  • We usually just go with what the airlines sell us when we book

  • Possibly best to go through the travel agent for good prices.

  • We went to RACQ they were really friendly and competitive in pricing.

  • We have always used AAMI travel insurance or Travel Insurance Direct, and both have been really good. TID were the cheaper of the two and also seemed to cover more items and have a higher monetary cover.

  • iselect is what i use when wanting to take out insurance

  • we went with RACV as we had existing policies with them

  • Ive always gone with the insurance the travel agents has given us but now there are so many to look at on the market that i think you just need to look around for the cheapest.

  • I think you can take it out with normal insurance companies also

  • I would talk to the travel agency and see what they offer, go with a big one with a good reputation

  • Check your credit card as you may have insurance already

  • We’ve always used Cover-more.

  • I have just researched this myself and have just taken out insurance with helloworld (formerly jetset) …

  • I think iselect do a comparison for travel insurance or comparethemarket.com.au it gives you a pretty good comparison for what’s covered and premiums etc.

  • I don’t buy travel insurance within Australia. Apart from cancellations, I think we are covered pretty well. Our house insurance covers loss of items such as cameras, jewellery and laptops within Australia and we have private health insurance for anything not covered by medicare. Would definitely buy it for overseas travel though.

Post you answer
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

What is your answer to that question?
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your answer and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating