24 Answers

Hi would love for my husband to get a paternity test on he’s exes kid that doesn’t look a thing like him and no one in he’s family or in the girls family the only thing is we can’t afford a lawyer and can’t get it threw legal aid as they said we dnt have enough evidence we hardly c the kid and the mother won’t let us c the kid now that we have asked for the paternity test or we would have just dne it our selfs… Has any one got any advice plsssss

Posted anonymously, 5th January 2014

Want more real mum questions sent to you?

You'll need to check this email to complete your signup.
Ask your question
  • Loved reading the comments on this as I have a cousin going through the same thing, he’s paying maintenance for a baby he doesn’t even know us his for sureand never sees her because the mum won’t be allow it. A DNA test would be handy

  • If the mum had nothing to hide, why restrict access after requesting the test? Bit dodgy. Hope you find the answers you need and the child is okay afterwards. Good luck!

  • Really very interesting reading the comments on this!

  • Does she have the legal right for you not to see the child, if not you have all rights to go see the child and have the test done. The child in question is currently listed as his child, so as a parent he has rights. She cant tell you to keep away with the legal right to do so.

  • i don’t have any ideas on how to go about this

  • this would be very hurtful for the child involved. parents are not who donates the sperm but who has been there for the child

  • Does your husband want the paternity test done? If he considers this child his no matter what the outcome then it would be absolutely unnecessary. If he is concerned over passing child support for a child that is not his, then legal aid could probably help.

  • This is hard because if you don’t see the child it makes it very difficult to get the test done. If your husband had access to the children then you could simply go and get the bloods done. The only way around it is a lawyer to serve the mother with papers saying that is has to be done. Maybe legal aid might be able to help or I would even phone up and talk to the child support people, they may have some good advise.

  • how did you go with it?

  • I think you need him and the child involved to get the test…so the mum would probably need to agree

  • Is he paying child support? I would think he would be entitled to a paternity test if he is.

  • I would just do the paternity test.

  • yeah absolutely let your husband decided what he wants to do. I think a lot of new partners have the belief that the child does not look like their husband

  • Very difficult situation, with a lot of things to consider. Good luck to all concerned

  • How does your husband feel? It’s his call. If he really has doubts, and really wants to know, and really wants to see more of the child if it’s his… Then save up for a lawyer. But before you get too carried away, remember that genes are funny funny things and just because you can’t see a physical resemblance doesn’t mean that’s not his child.

Post you answer
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

What is your answer to that question?
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your answer and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating