17 Answers

Hi, I am in the back house and my neighbor is in the front house. The wall of their house is right on the boundary line. They installed their aircon unit on the wall so it’s sticking into our narrow driveway. Its was hanging pretty low as my preschoolers bumped their heads a few times. We have asked them to shift the unit on frw occasions but nothing was done. Now they have installed 2 more units along my driveway but slightly higher. Do I have a say about the units as it’s in my driveway (past their boundary). Also I am afraid of bumping into them as I do lots of on call at night and may need to go in and out during the night when visions are compromised. I have asked them not to use that wall but they said it’s the only wall they can use.

Posted anonymously, 18th January 2021

Want more real mum questions sent to you?

You'll need to check this email to complete your signup.
Ask your question
  • If you have spoken to your neighbour with no result, the council is definitely the next step. As the units are crossing the boundary, surely you have some say? Im curious as to how you went….

  • If they are renting, I’d speak to the real estate agent. If they own the place I would speak to council

  • I’d start with Council but if they do nothing, you could seek legal advice.

  • I would see the council what right you have to stop them and it could be bad blood but you have rights too.

  • Definitely talk to them and ask to move it

  • That’s a good decision Christina, success !

  • I have decided to approach the council.

  • Thanks everyone.

  • Definitely start with the council. You also don’t want to turn it into a fight – it’s not great when you are fighting with neighbours, so you want to try the most diplomatic course of action to start with. If they won’t budge, then you’ll have to get tougher. Apart from the one where your preschoolers bumped their heads a few times, are the other ones in your way? Could you live with it?

  • BellaB said is on the money! Call the council at any cost even if you are not the owner. My son is a air-conditioner installer and he has to move units that have been installed in the wrong place all the time for many different reasons. Council is the best place to start. Best of luck.

  • Yes, if it’s across your boundary, you should have legal recourse. If you’re renting, talk to your landlord. If you own the property, approach your council – I think you can get an order for them to remove them.

  • Yes I would contact the local council too.

  • Maybe do an online search for reputable information too?

  • Definitely call your council for help!

  • Is it a common driveway or is it on your title? If its on your title I dont think they can encroach on your property even if it overhangs into air space.

Post you answer
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

What is your answer to that question?
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your answer and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating