12 Answers

My grandson in under the Care of the Minister, we have care of him until he is 18 yrs old. I have a question..do u think after 4yrs of no contact with his biological parents (we have sent them photos & nobody has bothered with my grandson) that they have a right to access to him, he doesn’t know or has even seen his parents? I think if u gave up the right to care for him, why should you get info about him & see him? ┬áPlease answer with kindness, I am just concerned for him.

Posted by deborah_osborne, 25th November 2014

Want more real mum questions sent to you?

You'll need to check this email to complete your signup.


Ask your question
  • I’ve 2 foster children under a guardianship order, they were removed after suffering severe neglect. Especially on the eldest this had a serious damaging impact. Before the guardianship order was placed their biological mum and dad had some visits with not the best effects on the kids. The guardianship order says in our case the parents have the right to see their kids 4x a year. However since the order has been placed they didn’t visit and I don’t encourage them. Would they contact me then I would keep the law and arrange a visit. Changing the order would mean you have to apply for that and that costs a lot of money

  • I agree with you. If you can’t be around when they’re growing up, why bother when they’re an adult. The damage is done, stay away, don’t make things worse

  • It’s a really hard one but unforunately the law does fail and allows parents back into the lives of vulnerable kids even when they maybe shouldnt;

  • What a lucky grandson to have you in his life. I’d be interested to know what the court ordered? I know of a couple who after several months of the dad not responding, the mum was allowed to take their son perm from Aust to NZ (where she is from).

  • I would be extremely reluctant to let this happen and would probably do all I could to prevent it. However, the law thinks and says differently. Unfortunately, they are all for kids keeping in touch with their natural parents. I feel for you and I hope it goes in your favour, but I I hope more for doing what’s best for the kids

  • I let my daughter see her real mum, she knows the truth that real mum couldn’t look after her. You should let them visit, hopefully only now and then. My daughter 20 now she only cope seeing her real mum once or twice a year.

  • If they don’t want to see him which clearly they don’t then no, I would still as he starts to understand more show him a photo and not be negative about them ( so he knows and you have done the right thing) but if they wanted to know him and be in his life they should of well and truly by now

  • Thank u for comments ,feel as we have no say in anything ,just worry as our concerns aren’t listened to .

  • At the age of four, your little grandson has only ever known you as his parents. His parents have given over his care to the State, who have granted you physical custody. Depending on the situation, they may be able to regain custody of their son. I suggest you ask the department to know for sure.
    The department put the welfare of the child first. It would be rather disturbing to him for them to try to regain custody or access. At some stage he does need to know that he has other parents and lives with you because they were not able to provide for him. It is very tricky at any age. If they have not bothered since his birth what makes you think they want access now, have they been in contact? I wish you well in this situation. God Bless you and this dear little boy.

  • It would depend on the legislation relating to your guardianship. In QLD, I hold guardianship of three beautiful boys, and the Child Protection Act clearly states that parents have to be kept informed of their children’s progress and that effort must be made in allowing “reasonable” contact. In saying that, phone calls, letters and emails are also considered forms of contact and may be the best option at this stage. If there is a genuine fear or safety concern then physical contact does not have to go ahead. But there must be valid reasons for this to occur. The best person to seek advice from would be a psychologist who can assess the situation and provide support for both yourself and child. You are eligible to access 10 free ones on a mental health plan. Or your child safety worker, if your state still retains on on guardianship (we still have on who comes out once a year). Unfortunately for us, guardianship is not adoption and the legal system still maintains that biological parents have rights to see their children. Good Luck

  • My Grandson came into the world ,product of my daughter& she drug addict of &swapped sex favours for drugs .Sadly 2weeks old he went to hospital,got taken by welfare ,we ended up his carersince 8months old .Government says parents can initiate contact ,biological was proven.If no one had any contact then pop up yrs later seems unfair.Nobody has but we scared ,as never know what druggies are going to do .

  • It depends why his parents gave him up or lost custody. They may be upset that you have custody of them. Did the court say they could have contact or supervised visits? Your grandson may suffer more by having contact. What do they have to hide from him? I know this sounds disrespectful, but is it possible that child isn’t actually the paternal son of the guy concerned. There is so many “if” possibilities. Did they want a baby in the beginning and change their minds after he arrived? Did the Mum have Post Natal Depression even before the birth. It does sometimes happen.

Post you answer
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Add a photo
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your answer and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating