17 Answers

The childcare provider that my 3 year old son attends has advised me that they believe my son should be starting 4 year old kindergarten next year. His date of birth is the 19/5 which is two and a bit weeks past the Victorian cut off of having turned 4 before the 30 April of the year that they commence 4 year old kinder.

The manager believes that my son would be better off moving to the next level based on their assessment of his development and that I need to seek an exemption from the Education Department for him to start earlier.

I am little confused as to what I should do especially since I didn’t have this problem with my eldest whose birthday was in July! Can any share their experience or recommendations as to how I should proceed?

Posted by zero30zero, 28th August 2014

Want more real mum questions sent to you?

You'll need to check this email to complete your signup.
Ask your question
  • The age range in my daughter’s year is 18 months from oldest to youngest so there is a big scope. If you think your child is ready to move on, I would ask for an exemption.

  • How did you go? I think if the dates are questionable – it is up to the parent to decide if they are ready. The childcare does not sound supportive

  • It’s only 2 and a bit weeks past the cut off date, nothing to worry about. I think it would be beneficial for him and go with it. He can always ‘repeat’ if it doesn’t work out

  • Talk to the school for advice but I agree to listen to your gut instinct. You can find ways to stimulate him and encourage development without going to school.

  • They will then Starr the semester after as I’ve been told but may be different depending on what state

  • I am a big believer of starting school later rather then early esp in the case of boys who are overall less mature. Early starters aere usually a disruption to class n are there just to get orientated to school which is really the job of preschools.

  • Steve Biddulph (who wrote Raising Boys) is a big advocate of later start dates, especially for boys. Has the daycare provider said why they think he should start early? Community health nurses/services can do an assessment if you need to fill out paperwork for the school for ‘delayed entry’. It’s also a good idea to talk to teachers or the principal of the school you’re planning to send him to. I personally wouldn’t rush it. And if you’re unhappy with the advice you get from your daycare provider, I’d be looking for another one for the next 12 months.

  • You will need to get an assessment done, the school can tell you how to go about this. Having said this it is important that you don’t start him off too early (if he isn’t ready) my nephew started very early and in grade 3 now with results of a grade 2 and is starting to misbehave due to not keeping up with the work and his mental age is more of a grade 2 as well.

  • Being in QLD, I am unfamiliar with the Victorian schooling system, but maybe seek some professional advice – paediatrician, psychologist to ensure that he is ready, mentally, emotionally and physically. It would be a big change! Also, if you are already having concerns and doubts about sending your child to school, go with your gut and wait! You need to do what is best by your child and not what some child care provider thinks.

  • I wouldn’t hasten things. He will be the youngest child and 1 year makes a huge difference. Don’t put him behind the eight ball. Better to start later now then be held back later on.
    I’ve spoken to many school teachers about this very topic and they all tell me that they can pick out the kid in a class that started early, as socially, they are behind compared to the others.

  • I’m not sure some schools allow it but not many if I was u I would just wait..

  • If it were my child I would not be rushing them into the school system. Let them be young and carefree for as long as possible before the homework and stress begins. Ask yourself what will he gain from going early and what would he loose if he doesn’t? I have a boy who is the youngest in the class and he is struggling if I had a choice I would of made him wait.

  • I guess you as the mum need to sit down and see if your child is ready to go. Yes there is a cut off date but your child also has to be ready

  • its between you ur son,and ur partner/friend..i think you should leave the school thing off for as long as possible.he maybe a clever boy,so its not hurting anyone..is it.

  • Usually they don’t accept students earlier & they follow the Victorian cut off as you mention. The best way to ease your mind is to ring the education department & ask about your concerns & if what you have been told is true, then proceed from there.

Post you answer
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Add a photo
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your answer and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating