47 Answers

I have concerns regarding my ex’s driving while my children are in his car. They have only in the last month started spending time with their father, after 6yrs. The other day they brought up that he speeds and acts like a hoon, my son had told me that one time that Dad was coming sideways into his driveway and my son hit his head on the window! Their Dad and I have a very volatile relationship I am wondering how I approach him without starting conflict. How could I have him listen to my concerns without disregarding anything I say?

Posted by anon, 07/12/13

Want more real mum questions sent to you?

You'll need to check this email to complete your signup.
Ask your question
  • Maybe offer to pick up and drop off the kids. You will still need to have a conversation with him though as he will no doubt be driving them around at some stage

  • I see this is an old question. How did you solve it ?
    My first thought was to look if there’s someone you both know you could approach to help you with expressing your concerns.

  • Maybe leave that issue for now and just start communications about the kids being put into a diary when going to and from his home. Then, as they come into the future, use the diary, rather than possibly escalating things by being face to face and not knowing how he might respond.

  • Were you able to resolve this with your ex?

  • Tell the kids to tell him that they are scared ( make it a big deal ) and that if he doesn’t drive slower then they wont get in the car. If he wont listen to you when married, he wont listen now either . Maybe get the police involve if it gets worse or in dangerous situation .

  • It is good reading all the comments and interest to this!

  • Can your kids talk to him about it? Or can you Ask him if he has seen the motor accident commision video about kids learning from their behavior.

  • I would talk to the police and let them know your concerns and they may be able to station a car near his home. booking him a few times might just save your childrens lives

  • Seek legal advice on this one as it’s a he said / she said situation. It may be that a court appointed mediator will sit you down to discuss it. It’s a hard one, especially when your children are potentially at risk

  • I wouldn’t let my kids get into that car! Raise your concerns with a legal representative and see what they say. If he has a bad driving record, it would add more to your case.

  • maybe talk to legal aid

  • I would seek legal advice.

  • Gosh I would not let them in the car with him.

  • I think that it is a good idea to get the kids to say they are scared of his driving to him.

  • that is horrible! you would think people would change when they have kids!

Post you answer
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

What is your answer to that question?
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your answer and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating