13 Answers

After I gave birth I got really bad diastasis recti aka abdominal seperation and my stomach has never went back to the way it was. Anyone else suffered from this and do you have any advice that I can do ? I did work out but realised it made the seperation worse !! Please let me know if you have any advice thank you in advance

Posted anonymously, 28th March 2019

Want more real mum questions sent to you?

You'll need to check this email to complete your signup.
Ask your question
  • Get in touch with not just a physio but a PT experience with this – certain exercises will make it worse and there are certain exercises to help bring the muscles back together. What you need is an experienced, qualified professional to help you. Best of luck.

  • I had this after carrying 3 babies, I do physio and its working well to lessen the seperation

  • I was curious too as I was a little overweight and felt I might have it too and looked up what to do all I know is there us a special exercise that might help

  • I wish I had some advice. I had one after my son over 13 years ago, except I wasn’t aware of it until many years later; it was never mentioned to me by a nurse or doctor. I haven’t found it bothers me so not worried.

  • How long ago did you give birth? Perhaps it’s worth giving a bit more time to heal? I had a 3cm gap for the first 8 months then it went down to 1.5cm with just very soft exercise (i.e. walking and lifting baby correctly). If the separation is more than 2cm I would see a physio who is experienced in this area. Personally I wouldn’t trust all PTs to understand the problem. You definitely don’t want it getting worse. X

  • I had this after my first baby and it got even worse after my 2nd. Go see your GP and get a referral to a physio. They can help you do proper exercises to help it.

  • I’m not sure maybe a corsette? See a physio

  • I have one but best of luck and have you seen a doctor??

  • I only had a mild version of this after my second baby. I was told test when doing sit ups/crunches, I just needed to press my stomach in from the sides to push the separation together. Mine was only mild, you will most likely require more

  • Definitely find a really good physio. They will give you exercises to strengthen all the supporting areas.

  • I had to not use my abs at all for six weeks (was actually hard to do) and work on my supporting muscles as in pelvic floor without engaging my abs. Physio worked with me.

  • I never knew it was called this – I have abdominal separation and I’ve never been able to make it better. it is so hard for me to loose weight and I get pain when I do an abdominal workout.

  • Might be worth looking into a specialist. I saw a pelvic floor physio who also did work with ab separation. Was definitely worth while for me as she was able to give me excercises and teach me how to do them properly.

Post you answer
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

What is your answer to that question?
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your answer and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating