33 Answers

I’m taking the kids interstate on a holiday for the weekend, leaving the Friday afternoon and returning on the Sunday afternoon. He has had less than 7% care since the kids have been born. Do I need his written permission?

Posted by Mandi2406, 25th September 2014

Want more real mum questions sent to you?

You'll need to check this email to complete your signup.


Ask your question
  • No, of course you don’t. It’s only a couple of days.

  • I always thought permission was needed for interstate trips with the kids

  • I don’t think you need written permission, but I would just share verbally that you’re going on a weekend holiday (the same way you would do this with friends).

  • I dont think you do need permission especially if it is your time with the kids and there is nothing stated in a parental agreement. I know you do if you go overseas

  • If he only has 7% input, it sounds like you don’t communicate much?? It’s only for the weekend, certainly doesn’t need written permission. If you’re in regular contact though, it would be nice to let him know you’re going

  • to my l knowledge only if you are taking them out of the state/country

  • My brother sees his son every second weekend and then returns him to his mother on the Sunday evening . Basically it doesn’t matter where he takes him as long as it falls on that weekend . How do you work out the 7% , it must be very confusing for both of you with that type of condition .

  • it is a good idea to advise them what is happening particularly if there are court documents involved. ring child services to get a definitive answer.

  • I guess it would depend on the court agreement?

  • You will have to check your visitation rights papers. I can’t see a problem with it, it’s only a weekend, you could probably have it done and dusted before sad even found out! But I wouldn’t want to get you in trouble

  • I wOuld give them a month notice in writing. If you take them away he might assume you have left with the children. Ive known courts to give them to the other partner

  • If you have a contact agreement (court) then follow that.

  • it should be on court order. id want to know

  • Just let him know your plans. Verbally hed tell you if he protested. Mention it nicely. If it’s not out of state you don’t have to, but if. It’s his weekend you can’t just do it.

  • depending on if you have a court agreement, it may restrict interstate travel, but definitely need permission to travel overseas, check any agreements if you think that he will cause problems, it is best if you can discuss with him and tell him what you intend to do as it is nicer for the children if they can share the excitement with the other parent. but this is not always possible unfortunately.

Post you answer
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Add a photo
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your answer and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating