24 Answers

My 4 yr old had his check up and has mild hearing loss due to wax. Any tips on removal please?

Posted by mom111362, 22nd June 2016

Want more real mum questions sent to you?

You'll need to check this email to complete your signup.
Ask your question
  • I would talk to a doctor who can flush out the ear, or a pharmacist who can give you ear drops to soften the wax.

  • Don’t do it yourself – it can be very dangerous. Please go to your doctor.

  • Use a washer as it is safer dont use cotton tips as they push the wax back in

  • Definitely go visit a GP

  • Cerumol and Waxol and very similar – they are both wax softners that either do the job on their own by just softening the wax enough for it to come out or are used prior to a Dr syringing the ear/s. Cerumol in particular can stain a pillow etc, so it’s best to place a towel under the head prior to placing the drops in the ear. Whether or not you need extra steps i.e syringing or extraction via another healthcare professional it won’t do any harm to use a softner before hand like Waxol or Cerumol – just no cotton buds or anything that pushes the wax back in. There are a lot of expensive products that are supposed to irrigate the ear etc, but in reality don’t do more than what happens when water runs into your ear in the shower. I would waste my money on things like ear candles or irrigation products, but it is personal preference.

  • Time to see the G.P. they will either do it or advise what to do.

  • Go to a professional, or you could cause permanent damage.

  • Doctor for sure, too dangerous with little ones

  • A GP is also best as sometimes there may be steps to prevent/lessen build up.

  • Go to your GP and they can clean them out for you. I once tried ear candles and what a waste of time, effort and money they were. My GP cleared out my ear in no time at all and I’ve had no more problems with it since

  • If there is hearing loss due to a build up wax the best intervention would be to see a GP. Ears are very delicate and great care needs to be taken with ear health and hygiene.

  • you can use warm olive oil to help soften the wax then have it flushed out

  • The school nurse did the check up, he has also seen ENT and he tried picking a bit out but said its too deep? cool Ill just ask pharmacy

  • I have been using Waxsol for years as it doesn’t contain any harsh ingredients to help dissolve wax in the ears and any residue can be syringed by the doctor . However because your son is young, I would still seek the advice of a doctor as it is best to let the ear clean itself unless you have no choice . Talk to your local GP and see what he thinks .

  • Sorry but I am a little confused as to : “My 4 yr old had his check up and has mild hearing loss due to wax.” Who actually did this check up???
    Any how, having a husband and son who suffer from excess wax I do know the problems it can cause.
    My tips are:
    1/ NEVER attempt to clean out the ears by using cotton tips, bobby pins, or other objects in the ear canal as you will push wax deeper.
    2/ Visit your GP or Paediatrician and if they do not remove it for you ask their advice.

    Best of luck and hoping all will be well.

Post you answer
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Add a photo
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your answer and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating