I would love to further my studies but I don’t have time to attend Tafe or night classes. Can I please get some ideas on what courses you suggest I could do??… I need the course to be Centrelink approved as they simply are expensive and I do not want that to be the reason I don’t do this.I just do not know what I want to study so please help Mums. Thank you :-)

Posted anonymously, 18th November 2013

Want more real mum questions sent to you?

Ask your question

  • Maybe book an appointment with centrelink or a job search agency. They will know what courses are centrelink approved and will be able to help you choose one that will interest you

  • Go to a tafe counsellor and ask for a career test . I did that a few years ago after I was made redundant and found it so interesting . I am currently volunteering to gain more skills so take the test and talk to the adviser .

  • My daughter was studying nursing online. She was required to attend campus classes one day a week and had to do exams on campus, but the rest was online. I think you will be surprised at what you can study online nowadays

  • Just be wary of the costs involved in any online course you start.

  • Just be careful you are not conned into a course with a bill of $13,000 to $19,000.Im a single mum 48 ,I rent ,I have no super & they tried to get me in debt for this much money,no guarantee of a job,watch out.

  • Jump onto seek learning and have a look at all the correspondence coirses

  • also congrats on trying to better yourself

  • these are good answers and really helpful advice. see what you can find online or go and speak to a uni rep

  • I think you can do tare courses online

  • Check out Open Universities to see if there is something that catches your attention

  • I hope you find a suitable course

  • there are a lot of good courses through OTEN and they are the same fee structure as normal Tafe

  • It all depends on where your interest lies,I did education support via correspondence and found that was ok to do,especially after a long time since I had to study,. This allows you to work as an aide at schools etc but firstly decide what area you want to head and then look to see what might be available.

  • It depends which field you want to study in. I started out at Open Universities and am now at University of Southern Queensland (which I do not recommend for Business and Engineering external students, education is apparently pretty good though). You can get FEE HELP through universities (even if you are completing a diploma for a 1-yr full time course not the whole bachelor)

  • Depends on what you mean by Centrelink approved. Are you talking about a Centrelink program paying for it, or for it to be Austudy approved, or to be used as an approved activity for something like Newstart Allowance. Most are Austudy approved and you can get HELP for them. Maybe it would be best to find ones you are interested in, then book an appointment at your local Centrelink office.

Post an answer
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

What is your answer to that question?
Would you like to include a photo?

No picture uploaded yet
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.

Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your answer and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just submit?

Write A Rating Just Submit