9 Answers

So I was going through a really tough stage, so I asked my daughter’s grandmother (ex’s mum) if she could look after my daughter while I sort myself out. Now, I’m under control and want my daughter back. How can I get her back tonight?

Posted anonymously, 15th May 2019

Want more real mum questions sent to you?

You'll need to check this email to complete your signup.
Ask your question
  • How did you go with this ? Hope it all turned out well !

  • Talk, communicate-be humble, have regular visits first to establish good relations with your daughter as well as any other party. Show how appreciative you are. Build up the rapport, ask if its okay for your daughter to have sleepovers whilst establishing that you want it to become more permanent, Always bear in mind it is what is in the best interests of your child.

  • Without knowing more details – I would say jump in your car and go get her!

  • Getting your daughter back will depend if there are any court orders or protection orders or formal custody orders. Assuming not, then I’d say arrange a time to visit and meet up with her, explain what you’ve done and that you’re now able to care for your daughter again and would like to return home with you. Thank her for caring for your daughter and hopefully it will all be amicable and you can have regular contact with her and your daughter too.
    Also unsure if your ex is in the picture or has been while your daughter has been with his mum? Definitely only go down a legal route if nessecary. But assuming there’s no orders in place, then the grandmother can’t refuse to return your daughter legally. Good luck and I hope it all works out for you.

  • If you’re ready ask and if they say no try mediation or legal advice. Legally though if there is nothing in place depending on the age of your daughter and how long they’ve had her for you will still be her legal guardian.

  • Depending upon how long your daughter has been there should not be a problem. Hopefully will not have to go down the legal way if both sides friendly. Have done this before when i was having trouble with everything going on. My in laws looked after one of my children while I was able to sort somethings out. I was able to prove to them I could look after both my children and myself , so they said they would be there if needed.

  • Talk to your ex mother in law. Give her confidence that you are all sorted out now. Try not to ruin the relationship with her, as you may need her in the future if you want to go our one night, and its good for your child to have a relationship with her. Only go down the track of lawyers etc as a last resort

  • Start by asking. If that doesn’t work, threaten a lawyer. F that doesn’t work, get a lawyer.

  • Are there any legal things in place? If it’s just a case of you asking, then I can’t see anything wrong with just asking for her back. Organise a meet up and talk about how you’re feeling and you think you’re ready to have your daughter back

Post you answer
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

What is your answer to that question?
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your answer and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating