20 Answers

My GP has recommend I get my 2 year old cercumsized and has refered me to a Specialist. We don’t have private health and the 1st appointment with the specialist is $200. Of course my sons health is my priority, but I am concerned that if the consult is $200 what will the operation cost. Again of course my son is my priority. I am only questioning the money because while I was pregnant I had to pay a lot for all my scans, while other mums who went to a different doctor recieved them all for free. My specialist is in a hospital in Malvern, wondering if any mums have been through the same thing. My son was born at Dandenong hospital and at the time they asked, but I hadn’t even thought about it then. Am I better off going to a GP in Dandenong area, as circumcision may be more common in that area? (also the GP recommend it for medical reasons)

Posted anonymously, 27th May 2014

Want more real mum questions sent to you?

You'll need to check this email to complete your signup.
Ask your question
  • When there are medical reasons you should be able to have it done via the public system. Ask for a different referral to see a Specialist who operates via the public system. I did the same with a double hernia operation I had this year. The Gp referred me to a Specialist who did surgeries under the private health system and I would have to pay several thousands of dollars and only the intake was already $400. I then asked a different referral and saw a Specialist who did the surgery in a public Hospital. He placed me quite high on the waiting list and it was done with some months.

  • If a go has recommended it for medical reasons, it’s safe to assume it will be necessary. My 3yo nephew had to have it done for medical reasons. But if you feel more comfortable getting a 2nd opinion, by all means do it. In the mean time, make some phone calls and ask the questions you need answered. You’ll never know unless you ask

  • I would first get a second opinion or just go and make an appointment with a different Gp and see what he/she says.

  • Get a second opinion first. Unless medically necessary then don’t do it.

  • Are you really sure you want your son circumcised? It’s a complex decision, and you may want to talk to another medical person first.

  • If your not sure get a second opinion. Drive out of area to a different doctor if you need to

  • I was recommended to get my first son done after a uti my partner didn’t want him done so we agreed to wait if he got another then we would, he is 8 now and no problem. If it is a serious medical condition where it has to be done then going through the hospital won’t cost anything you may just have a longer wait

  • My nephew had the same operation done when he was 3. My brother in law had it done at age 33. 3 year old nephew coped a lot better with it all ;)

  • I think when it’s for medical reasons it still costs about $600 all up. Maybe phone around

  • get a second opinion. if the risk outweighs the benefit…..well you gotta think about his self confidence as well. Will this affect him later on?

  • Do it, I had twin boys and had the option when they were born but decided not to, bad decision, one had to be done at 2, the doctor offered to do the other one at 5 but we never went thru with it, I would be looking for a referral to a bulk billing doctor, if it is for medical reasons then the public system should do it, can you take him to the major childrens hospital, as in SA we can go into emergency and get seen there and referred to specialists, children are treated fairly quickly at no cost, but get another opinion, tell your gp about your cost concerns as they are considerable, I know we have top private health and extras but still have to pay gaps, hubby has been sick in the last 3 mnths and we are about 5k out of pocket, so it is a nightmare. that could have been home renovations or a holiday but health comes first. get another opinion but have him circumcised asap whilst he is still young.

  • I would get a second opinion before going ahead with the circumcision also tell your dr you cant afford it and they should refer you to a cheaper or free one

  • Do you have a Medicare card, health care card? Seems ridiculous that you had to pay for most of your scans. I only had to pay for one and that was the 12 week scan because it requested it and didn’t fall in the high risk category for anything, definately shop around in the way of Drs hospitals etc. there should be someone who does it for free or a lot cheaper especially if it’s a medical issue. Maybe talk to your MCHN?

  • I think you should get a second opinion and ensure it is necessary to get it done – I haven’t heard of a dr recommending this before but then I don’t know what the health issue is

  • their is a local GP in Noble park on chandler rd right near railway line that does this and i dont remember it being to expensive, but he was a baby, there were older boys being looked at, but I am not shore of there age

Post you answer
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

What is your answer to that question?
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your answer and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating