11 Answers

Sorry TMI, im 38 and have started getting heavy periods, with clots, some 50 c size.. I can flood a regular pad 3 times in 2 hours… going to get maternity pads next time. should I seek a gynae opinion? not keen on interventions

Posted by mom111362, 5th March 2019

Want more real mum questions sent to you?

You'll need to check this email to complete your signup.
Ask your question
  • I’m a bit like that I can flood in 2 hours with one but it’s really quite different after having a baby maybe just not regular yet

  • My periods have changed a lot as I’ve gotten into my 30s. My last one worried me, was normal then a few days later I went to the toilet and blood gushed out, along with some small clots and one around the size of a credit card. It eased up after a few hours or so. Is yours heavy your entire period? I asked my doctor about it and he said it’s normal, so you could always just ask your GP.

  • I would suggest getting your iron tested to see if you are losing too much and affecting your iron levels

  • Please go see a gyno.
    I had very heavy periods with clots and was 8 iron reading. Had to take 2 iron tablets a day for 3 months to build up and had to skip the sugar pill to stop periods for a bit also.

  • My SIL had similar issues due to fibroids and it was so bad she became very anemic and nealy passed out a couple of times. Eventually she had no choice and saw a Gyno so the answer is YES.

  • thanks guys, wasn’t sure if its something that happens as you get old lol. Im on iron tablets as my level was 4? and my HB was a bit low. im sad as I cant donate blood anymore

  • Yep see a gynaecologist. I was having same issues, they can prescribe a tablet called tranexamic acid
    which you take during your period to help the heavy bleeding. It is a bit expensive but worth it. There is other options like a marina or ablation ( involves theatre) . It is awful hun am feeling your pain.

  • Absolutely get yourself checked out. If you are losing that much blood you will possibly be anaemic.

  • Hell yes go get done medical information. This is a big problem, not just healthwise but also as an inconvenience and big cost in your life. My daughter suffered heavy, irregular, painful periods. It only took a few visits to her gp to sort it

  • Definitely get an opinion so you know what’s going on and then at least you know what it is and what your options are.

  • I would definitely go and see your doctor. It’s better to know what’s happening than to ignore it.

Post you answer
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

What is your answer to that question?
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your answer and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating