Hello!

3 Answers

I was always told that honey was the only thing not to try before one. Is this an olden day myth or is this still true?


Posted anonymously, 7th September 2016


Want more real mum questions sent to you?


You'll need to check this email to complete your signup.
Ask your question
  • Infant botulism is an illness that can happen when a baby ingests (takes in) toxins from a type of bacteria. Babies with infant botulism (BAH-chuh-liz-im) can have muscle weakness, a weak cry, and trouble breathing. They need to be treated in a hospital. With early diagnosis and proper medical care, a baby should fully recover from the illness.

    Infant botulism is caused by a toxin (a poison) from Clostridium botulinum bacteria, which live in soil and dust. The bacteria can get on surfaces like carpets and floors and also can contaminate honey. That’s why babies younger than 1 year old should never be given honey.

    These bacteria are harmless to older kids and adults. That’s because their mature digestive systems can move the toxins through the body before they cause harm.


  • It’s true that you don’t give babies honey before they’re one. Honey potentially contains a bacteria which is dangerous to them before that.


  • This is still very true.


Post you answer
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

What is your answer to that question?
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account


Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your answer and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating
Join