12 Answers

I’m a stay at home mum and my anxiety is high. What are the signs of depression?

Posted by mom465768, 20th July 2021

Want more real mum questions sent to you?

You'll need to check this email to complete your signup.


Ask your question
  • A visit to a GP is the best starting point for getting support. Reaching out for support is a good first step.

  • I think that if you’re asking this question, you really should have a chat with a professional like your GP.

  • I would talk to your GP, I recently did & he assured me that so many in lockdown are feeling anxiety. He said the best thing I should do was go out daily & exercise even if it’s just 10 mins a day. Sunshine & fresh air helps the mind.

  • I would suggest talking to your GP. They will do a deprrssion/anxiety scale on you and go from there. Some signs of depression are increased irritability and fatigue, however there are many others and they differ for each individual so your GP is your best bet.
    If you do have depression you can ask for a mental health care plan for 10 sessions with a psychologist rebated through Medicare.

  • Symptoms can be so different for everyone and what might seem ok might get worst if help isn’t sought. It doesn’t help to talk to a friend or someone you trust and go from there

  • I’d recommend speaking to a gp. Symptoms can be so different for everyone, but early diagnosis and intervention can be really helpful.

  • For me I just want to sleep all the time & things that normally don’t bother me start to affect me. I don’t want to go out or be social. Its almost like you want to just curl up in a corner & disappear for a bit.

  • If you struggle with things you used to enjoy, getting up and going back to bed feeling tired all the time and maybe staying home more and staying in your pjs more not bothering to dress and doing your hair and just finding everything just too much. My advise is go see your dr make a long appointment so you can talk to your doctor, you can ring places to talk to someone so there is someone who doesn’t know you to talk to and feel safe that it’s not going to be around where you live.

  • Maybe talk to your gp…

  • Beyond blue, black dog institute and PANDA (specific for postnatal support) are all great resources as a starting point. If you are concerned get help sooner than later, I had such a hard time with my first baby and wish that I’d spoken up.

  • Things like not enjoying things your normally would, not being bothered with normal life things, withdrawing from friends and family. You might feel like crying all the time, or you might just feel numb; even joyful events don’t excite you. I also knew a lady who went the other way. She was anxious and depressed, and she overcompensated by making her home look like a show house. But she went thorough extreme lows. Talk to your doctor or maternal health nurse. There are Medicare subsidized health plans available to access counseling if you need the support. I’ve done it myself for my anxiety, and while it seems daunting it’s actually very easy to access. There’s also lots of information on Beyond Blue.

  • I am so sorry to hear that you’re going through a tough time. I think a good starting point is to see your GP, or talking to Lifeline. I’ve called Lifeline before just to talk about how I was feeling, and it was a really good starting point to getting help and feeling better.

    You can find details about Lifeline here: https://www.service.nsw.gov.au/transaction/lifeline

Post you answer
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

What is your answer to that question?
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your answer and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating