7 Answers

I suffer from a number of food allergies and I am certain my son does too.

The doctor says they cant test him because of his age. So we have started an elimination diet.

I would appreciate any advice on how to deal with this, and finding out if other kids have been officially tested. Does anyone know about Fructose Malabsorption?

Posted anonymously, 21st November 2014

Want more real mum questions sent to you?

You'll need to check this email to complete your signup.
Ask your question
  • Yes a fructose test!

  • You could look into the Sue Dengate Failsafe diet. It’s an elimination diet. Elimination is the best and most accurate way to find out exactly what the tolerances are, which are very different to allergies. Good luck.

  • Whereabouts did you have the breath test done? I had it done myself, but when I tried to book him in they said he was too young!

  • How old is your son my daughter had a fructose test and she was five all they have to do is drink a liquid and then breathe into a tube every 15minutes for 2 hours.

  • Just be careful doing this as you want to make sure that your son is getting enough nutrients from a balanced diet to help him grow. However if he is showing signs of allergies I would talk to a specialist nutritionalist or similar to get professional advice.

  • Most Dieticians/Nutritionists have a Medicare Provider Number but there a few that don’t. If your GP refers you, be sure to ask if he/she has one. Some that don’t give strict diets for various conditions and give the impression that the diet is for life. That is not always correct and some can cause organ damage.
    When they were trying to determine one particular food my little niece was allergic to she was not allowed to eat any of it for 3 weeks, then re-try it. Your little one may have a slight allergy to several foods, which eaten near to each other (e,g, within a week of each other in my brother’s case) he showed reactions to. He went to an Allergist when he was old enough. He was only fairly young but I can’t remember how old he was. These are only suggestions from personal experience within my family.
    Fructose is the sugar in fruit. There may be vegetables that he can get the same vitamins from………Like other suggestions I hope this helps in the interim.
    You definitely need constructive professional advice and treatment. I wish you well in solving both your problems.

  • Hi, my advice would be to see a nutritionist/dietitian. I am gluten and lactose sensitive, and also have been put on a low fodmap diet also try and restrict my sugar as well. The nutritionist/dietitian that I went to was great and they monitor what food to eliminate or if a food can be reintroduced.
    Being young you don’t want your son to be missing out on vital nutrients and experts in the field can help you through your sons journey. Also see if your GP can do a plan for your son, so as to cut costs at the nutritionist/dietitian.
    All the very best of luck to you and your son and I wish you both well.

Post you answer
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Add a photo
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your answer and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating