16 Answers

My daughter turns 11 in a couple of months and has recently developed a hard lump just under one of her nipples. I’m pretty certain this is a normal sign of breast development but just wanted to make sure by checking what other mums think or know. It doesn’t really hurt her she just says it feels a bit uncomfortable. I think I can remember this happening to me when my breasts started growing.

Posted anonymously, 1st July 2014

Want more real mum questions sent to you?

You'll need to check this email to complete your signup.
Ask your question
  • To put your mind and your daughters at rest, if you feel suspicious or concerned about any issue, particularly what you have written. Please book in to see your family Doctor, or for your daughter’s modesty a female doctor.

  • I really hope this was followed up by a dr apt and a checkup? … everybody is different so what may be nothing to one person could be important or significant to someone elses health… :/

  • Hard lump = bad sign. take her to the doctors it needs to be checked out, even if it is nothing it is better safe than sorry

  • Most likely quite normal but go to doctor anyway so you aren’t worrying about it.

  • I would take her to the doctor and have it checked out to see what it is and if it is normal. Best to play it safe

  • Personally i think you should take your daughter to see your doctor, its possibly nothing to worry about but rather than stressing over it its better to get professional advice

  • I think I’d get it checked by a doctor to be safe.

  • I would be taking a visit to the GP, that way you will have an answer for your worrying mind.
    could be part of development, could be a cyst..’could be’, ‘would be” well I would be seeking medical advice.

  • Definitely take her to your GP to check.

  • Chances are that it’s nothing to worry about. However … the peace of mind that you will get from having that confirmed by a doctor is something you can’t put a price on. I’d rather have a doctor think I’m worrying about nothing, than have a doctor tell me I should have got the problem checked earlier.

  • I think if she was my daughter i would take her to see the doctor just to be on the safe side.
    Im sure it will all be fine but you would kick yourself if it was anything.
    Good luck.

  • My daughter had the same thing at about that age. The doctor said it was quite normal,but I would take her to see a GP just to be sure and to put your mind at ease

  • It’s probably nothing serious, but I’d get a check up just to be sure. Then neither of you will have to worry.

  • I’d be off to the Doctor to get an informed answer to your question – peace of mind.

  • If your all worried you can talk to your doctor just in case or call the Health First Phone line

Post you answer
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Add a photo
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your answer and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating