41 Answers

My husband has a significant birthday next year and we’ve always dreamed of travelling (to South America – and for a month) – without kids!. My question is – how do I arrange child minding? My girls are going to be 11 and 7. I always thought I get my parents to move in; but my dad’s health is up and down and my mum has enough on her plate just looking after him. My husband’s mum doesn’t drive and couldn’t get the girls to swimming lessons, and dancing etc. Where would I find a live-in child minder, and would that be really really expensive?

Posted by susiev, 14th November 2013

Want more real mum questions sent to you?

You'll need to check this email to complete your signup.
Ask your question
  • Personally I wouldn’t leave my kids with a complete stranger. I would consider to ask your MIL and skip dance and swimming lessons for a months since she doesn’t drive. Alternatively you could arrange a taxi or uber

  • I can’t believe you’re considering leaving your kids with a complete stranger while you go on holiday! And not a little holiday but you are actually leaving the country! I couldn’t do that

  • A post of November ’13 !! I bet my answer wouldn’t help you anymore. Tell us, how was your trip ? And did you find suitable child minders ?

  • I would ask a close family member to move in rather than a stranger. Better for the children.

  • This is an old post and if you are reading this – I hope you had a wonderful trip to South America. A remarkable place!

  • No other family members or close friend you could ask? I was lucky, my mother in law had no hesitation minding my kids…ever? She really was lovely

  • It’s a tough one. I guess it depends on how much you are able to spend on a nanny or au pair? Could you rethink the holiday and take them with you but make sure you stay in a couple of places with a kids club type set up so you get to go out and get some couple time?

  • there are some good comments here

  • Could your girls just do without after school activities for a month?

  • Hope you have managed to find someone.

  • It is possible you could advertise in the paper for someone, of course you would check all their references and for blue card first.

  • Wondering how you went with this? I’d possibly ask one of my sisters…but would likely take ours with us as a learning experience :)

  • Maybe take them with you, or arrange with other parents that do dance etc to take your kids, and allow the grandparent to have them the rest of the time

  • i personally couldn’t leave my kids i would be to stressed the whole time…

  • Personally I’d take them with me but maybe you could have your mother in law take care of them and someone else could take them to their swimming and dancing lessons?

Post you answer
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Add a photo
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your answer and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating