8 Answers

Back in December 2015 I left my abusive husband due to domestic violence. He has had.no contact with our 3 children since then. Today I received a text to contact centre care to advise of address for postal of.mediation documents. I am so scared. He abused me and my eldest physically. He was emotionally, socially, financially abusive. My 13 yr old and myself suffer from ptsd due to the domestic violence. We are awaiting counselling at the.moment. it has taken nearly 5 years for anyone to help us. The children are now 13, 8 and a half and 5. The 5 yr old doesn’t know him. The 8 year old only remembers bad things. The 13 yr old is confused, scared and depressed. I don’t know what to expect. I habe tried so hard to keep the kids and myself safe. I don’t want to go back to where we were at first. All the nightmares, crying, hurt and pain. I am just after advice and reassurance that what I am feeling is normal. I feel sick in the stomach. It’s like all the memories I habe tried to forget have came back.

Posted by sheridanwooler, 1st July 2020

Want more real mum questions sent to you?

You'll need to check this email to complete your signup.
Ask your question
  • Oh my goodness, I feel so much sympathy for you and your children. What you have gone through is horrible and it’s understandable that those feelings of fear have come back. Seek legal and relationship advice on how to proceed from here to keep yourself and your children safe. I wish you peace and safety.

  • I’m so sorry for you and your kids you went through this, bless you sheridanwooler.
    Your fear is realistic and totally normal !
    I agree not give your physical address and to get a PO Box if needed. Sorry to hear that you had to wait 5yrs to get help ! I hope you & your daughter have been able to start counseling now and make sure you get legal help too !

  • What you are feeling is very normal. Don’t give your physical address – get a PO Box if you need to. And talk to your counsellor and see if you can get some help and support around this.

  • I would be seeking support for yourself number 1. Number 2, ensure that you don’t feel pressured to make any decisions your not comfortable with. Good luck

  • You have to look after you and your children and do the best to make sure you are all protection and you must have the drs results if you are asked for proof. You should not have to go back from where you fled and don’t understand why you have to go to mediation. Take care of yourself and your family and join groups to get support and counseling to get stronger and to put those memories behind you. Good luck.

  • Mediation will be the only way to move forward with cutting him out of your life. State your case very clearly, know what you want and have family and legal support behind you. Maybe use a PO Box address for the documents if you’re worried about him finding out your address?

  • I feel very sad about you. You went through lot of pain in your life.I think you should do main focus on your kids and their future.

  • Not sure what to tell you. Just to listen to yourself and take care of you and your family. Sending lots of love and hopefully everything will turn well for you

Post you answer
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

What is your answer to that question?
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your answer and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating