21 Answers

My ex husband was the oldest of 3 children. While he was left in Australia, his mum took the other 2 children to Ireland. Since then he has found his sister, but his brother was adopted out in Ireland- he was fostered at first after being in a home. Can anyone give me any leads on where and how to start a search for him? Thanks

Posted by bridgwll, 18th March 2014

Want more real mum questions sent to you?

You'll need to check this email to complete your signup.
Ask your question
  • Advertising on Irish chat sites – maybe even the equivalent of Mom. Contact the Irish Government and ask what records you’ll be able to access. Google his mother.

  • The Salvation Army have a section that helps bring families together. I think they charge a fee, not sure how much. Might be worth contacting them and asking, they might help you

  • I really hope your husband was able to locate his brother.

  • I would hire an investigator for a short time to see if he/she can find any leads.

  • There are so many amazing Find My Family groups on Facebook now that are a wonderful help! If you’re not keep on putting some personal information on the internet you could always try the Salvation Army.
    You can also google family services in Ireland & send them an email asking what options you have for tracing family.
    It can be a very long process & may sometimes bring false leads but don’t give up hope.
    I wish you the very best of luck.

  • Good luck sorry cant help

  • I wish you all the luck with this

  • Good luck, I wouldn’t know where to start

  • You may be able to find leads at the home he was living in in Ireland, if you could find any of his foster families? Also social media is a magical tool for finding people!

  • Ask the home. Get someone to check marriage records in case you can pick him up as having married. And it sounds horrible, but maybe death certificates as well?

  • Have you tried ansestory.com? I found it brilliant when doing our family tree

  • a place called jigsaw as well as I think it is the red cross but all this cost you money. You can try and do a search through births deaths and marriages this should show you a name change than you can do a voting poll search as well as search the internet for sites as there are many that people list who they are looking for and you can also check if that person has put a listing search. Also get him to apply and see if he can get info on the adoption as I know his mother can unless there has been a veto put by the adopted child on it than you can not. also I would contact the home he was in and see if they have anything as they were more than likely involed in the adoption

  • Try the Red Cross – they have tracked down missing peoples for years

  • I would be trying the ancestry websites. The internet is one if the most powerful tools.

  • im trying to find my partners father right now but dont know were to look all i have is his name

Post you answer
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

What is your answer to that question?
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your answer and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating