My mum had a malignant melanoma last year, caught it early removed it and has regular check-up’s. I have been to the doctor’s and got my skin checked and I have some that are itchy and an odd colour but the doctor says they are fine. Should I get a second opinion given the history in the family?

Posted by kjgarner, 28th October 2015

Want more real mum questions sent to you?


Ask your question
  • We have a specialist skin cancer check clinic close to us. They are trained to spot the melanomas. Any chance you could access somewhere similar close to you?

  • If it is worrying or stressing you I would definitely get a second opinion just to ease your mind

  • A definite YES because doctor’s vary and it is always wise to get a second opinion when it comes to your health.

  • If you are in doubt then absolutely! can never ever be too careful!

  • I would just for peace of mind. It can’t hurt can it.

  • If you are unsure get a second opinion. You will be forever questioning otherwise

  • It wouldn’t hurt to get a second opinion, just for peace of mind. If they worry you that much, go for a second opinion for sure. Fingers crossed they’re all nothing to worry about

  • Its better to be safe than sorry I suppose!

  • If you are worried go with your gut. I had one cut out just in case as you can never be too cautious.

  • It never hurts to get a second opinion – I definetly would just to be sure. Maybe see if there is a proper cancer clinic that can check it out.

  • If you are unsure of what you have been told definitely get a second opinion as you will only worry about it and after all better to be safe than sorry. Good luck.

  • To reassure yourself I suggest you do get a 2nd opinion otherwise it is going to keep playing on your mind & will begin to affect your lifestyle & well being.
    Also considering your family history I can understand your fear.
    You know your body better than anyone & if something doesn’t feel right get it checked, if you’re not satisfied get the 2nd opinion.
    I wish you the very best.

  • I would get a second opinion for sure. You know your body best.

  • I agree with get a second opinion but make sure the doctor specialises in skin cancer. Our doctors surgery has two drs that specialise in the field, I have had a biopsy done then been referred to a plastic surgeon, and on a few occasions the dr froze a suspicious area.

    It’s best to know either way.


Post an answer
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

What is your answer to that question?
Would you like to include a photo?

No picture uploaded yet
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.

Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your answer and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating