16 Answers

Need some advice. I have been told my vaginal wall collapsed while getting my Merina inserted. I didn’t think much of it but have noticed being intimate with my partner is getting more and more painful it used to only be certain positions that caused pain but now most positions do. What are the treatment options. I think I still want kids so can I get treatment and still have kids afterwards. I’m a bit embarrassed to go to the Dr still about it all. TIA.

Posted anonymously, 1st May 2015

Want more real mum questions sent to you?

You'll need to check this email to complete your signup.


Ask your question
  • Treatment options range from therapies to surgery. Some preliminary treatment options may include: Pessary: These are removable devices that a person can insert into the vagina to help support the organs. Pelvic floor muscle exercises: Kegel exercises may help to strengthen the muscles.

  • oh it can be dealt with or permanetly fixed with surgery. no big deal! in some cases, simply doing pelvic floor exercises will not be enough to correct the problem. Your doctor will guide you about the right steps to take next. Most importantly, don’t stress! your fertility will not be affected by any procedure. If you get pregnant, once you get to around 3 months pregnant and the uterus rises up into the pelvis, it will relieve pressure down there and the doc will take the pessary out and will review you situation after you have a baby. Surgery fixes should hold up if you have a vaginal birth but every case is different.

  • I definately agree with alot of other answers on here. I too have a vaginal prolapse from giving birth though. It may be completely different to your situation. Try the pelvic floor exercises – I would google how to do them properly as there are alot of technics to get it right. Please don’t be embarrassed about seeing a doctor as usually the ones that specialize in this field are so nice. They know how to be gentle and compassionate about your fears as well. I have had both a male and female doctor and a female physio and found them to be the same. Good luck with it.

  • I have been seeing a physio to make sure I am doing pelvic floor exercises correctly, also posture is key! Made a world of difference making sure I stood and sat up straight

  • I have a prolapse from giving birth, i was told my options are 1. do heaps of pelvic floor exercises (it will go back in time, but is not a quick process) 2. they insert a pessary which is vinyl and donut shaped and sits up inside your vagina to hold it in place while it goes back to normal, doctor can insert or you can do it yourself, 3, last resort surgery. Please go see a doctor though, find a woman doctor if u are uncomfortable seeing a man.

  • Also; I agree with other Mom’s about a female GP or specialist. If you feel more comfortable with a woman then see one. I have found both; male and female doctors and specialists to be similar in approach.

  • Like everyone has said don’t be embarrassed about it. The sooner you get some attention the sooner you can start planning your family. There are specialist sexual health and planning centres you can visit if you don’t want to talk to your GP. You can also ask for a female if that makes you more comfortable. Just think that when you have a baby and during your pregnancy you will no doubt have internal exams, birth etc so no point in worrying about it.

  • Please try to not be embarrassed; doctors and specialists treat these problems all of the time and are only concerned with your health. It is important to seek treatment to avoid complications.

  • Definitely go and see and Dr. Then it can be sorted and you won’t have to worry any more

  • I worked with someone who had to have an op to fix it.. Maybe google it. Don’t be embarrassed – the way I see it, drs have seen it all before and it’s not like its anything you’ve done to yourself!

  • BUGGERITLIZ said it well..I had a male specialist and he was marvelous but maybe you would be more comfortable with a female, please make an appointment your life and health will thank you for it. All the very best to you.

  • Ask your doctor and I agree with others that an operation might be needed

  • Yes a common problem for women. Only option seek medical advice and pelvic exercises

  • I think the only option is an operation. They insert a sort of mesh to hold it up, seems to work ok. best to seek medical advice.

  • I think the only option is an operation, check with your doctor.

Post you answer
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Add a photo
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your answer and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating