61 Answers

So I’m 23 and prior to having a baby a will never crossed my mind but now I always think what would happen to my baby girl if something were to happen to my husband and I. We have both discussed who we want her to go to and agree however I have no idea where to go to make one or what to do? What do you include in it just your personal belongings and the kids? How many people actually have done their will ?

Posted anonymously, 29th April 2014

Want more real mum questions sent to you?

You'll need to check this email to complete your signup.
Ask your question
  • I’ve always had solicitors draw up my Will.

  • It’s never too early to have a will! I got a free will kit when I signed up for my life insurance. I’ve also just got one on its own, from the PO I think. Just fill it in and have 2 ppl sign it, they can’t be beneficiaries though

  • I went to the State Trustee, they have been wonderfully helpful to guide me through the steps, and they keep the details there until I’m gone and execute according to my decision, so I don’t have to worry about it. I strongly suggest you do it as it will make you feel much confident for your children’s future even if (God forbid) anything happens to you.

  • I got a free will kit when I signed up,to my life insurance company. I have a life insurance policy and 2 kids, so that was left completely to them, with the insistence they pay half my funeral each. I have left my personal collectables to each of them, details for each child. The rest I have said they can do with as they please

  • I have just ordered a kit and wondered whether it is a dependable document. I’m glad to read others thoughts on this.

  • still haven’t thought about it

  • You can get a kit, or go on line and there are templates to do a basic will, just make sure that it is witnessed and signed correctly, these are fine if everything is simple with no other children, ex partners etc, however if there are other children involved, business, multiple properties etc, it is worth getting a lawyer to draw up a will that way it reduces the chance of disputes, and make sure that you update it whenever your circumstances change, we have the public trustee avail to make wills and they do it at no charge however they charge an absolute fortune when it comes to finalizing the will, as they take a fee and a percentage of the estate, so it is cheaper in the long term to pay a lawyer to do it for you.

  • You can do it at home!!

  • I keep on meaning to do one as well and I always forget. thanks for reminding me.

  • good points to bring up im separated and would roll over in my grave if my sons went to there father.

  • I don’t have one. Not to sure but I hope other mums can help you. Good luck.

  • I haven’t even thought of this, I’m 23 and pregnant with my first child. I would assume that my child would go to her father or to my parents should something happen. Am I naive in assuming that?

  • You can go to a lwayer or do a “kit” one the main thing with a young child is to have arrangement for them if somethign happens for you both finacially and custody wise

  • i would use a lawyer so it is done professionally

  • Post Office or newsagents have will kits

Post you answer
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

What is your answer to that question?
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your answer and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating