Mum slams Kmart after claiming her glass bathroom scales suddenly exploded near her five-year-old son.

Mum-of-one Kelly Maggs claims she was left traumatised afters sharp shards of glass apparently flew in all directions, shares 7 news.

The 25-year-old from Sydney, claims to have purchased the $15 scales from her local Kmart store in Parramatta, Sydney, in 2014, and said they had served her well for the last five years until this ‘shocking’ incident.

The mum said she had called her son Liam into the bathroom for a shower earlier this week, when the youngster allegedly ‘walked past’ the scales, which Kelly claims then ‘randomly exploded’ all over her bathroom floor – with shards even littering the nearby hallway.

“It was incredibly loud. It sounded like a someone throwing a glass onto the ground with force,” Kelly said.

“It scared us both so much. I didn’t know what was happening.

“My son was only standing about two inches away from them when they exploded. I was just so thankful he wasn’t hurt, he was really lucky.

“There were glass shards all around him. So, I just quickly picked him and popped him straight in the bath so he wouldn’t step on any sharp pieces.”

bathroom scale

Thankfully, Kelly and her son were not harmed in the ‘explosion’ – but the distressed mum is now urging Kmart to undertake a massive recall of the popular bathroom scales so that ‘nobody gets seriously injured’ in the future.

“You’d never expect that to happen. I just want to get the warning out there, as some others might not have been so lucky,” she said.

“That night I couldn’t sleep because I had so many dramatic thoughts running through my head.

“Like what if it had cut his ankle or sliced a major artery and he bled out. It’s so scary.”

Kelly said she reached out to Kmart who offered her a refund and replacement, however the mum said she would not be purchasing any more bathroom scales from the major Australian retailer.

A spokesperson for Kmart has said that these type of bathroom scales are safe, explaining that this ‘explosion’ will occur if the scales are ‘chipped or compromised’ in order to ‘reduce the risk of serious injury’.

It also appears another mum had a VERY similar experience recently as well.

Sydney mum, Joanne also shared a warning on Facebook saying,

“I just wanna take a moment to warn anyone with glass scales to please be careful!
I have had mine for over 5 years and never thought it would ever happen but it did!
My 5 year old son was walking to the toilet his foot was right next to the scale and it EXPLODED!
So I thought I would put a warning out to any ladies in here that may have glass scales to please be careful
ETA: these are Kmart scales.”

We also shared a similar story from a mum last year and many others commented they had experienced the same.

There was also a report in 2017 after a similar experience.

Do you think the product should be recalled?

Share your comments below.

  • In my idea it should be recalled. 5 years is not a big amount of time. I bought my digital scale around 13 years ago (not of glass) and it’s still perfect.


  • They shouldn’t have exploded but after 5 years I’m not sure that it is a manufacturing problem or a usage problem?


Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?

No picture uploaded yet
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.

Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

Loading articles…
↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just submit?

Write A Rating Just Submit