A mum has urged parents to take extra care when bathing their babies after her daughter nearly died from swallowing bath water.

A US mum has shared her horror after her baby almost died from water intoxication Yahoo7 reports. Katie Gorter says her daughter Elly, eleven months, swallowed a small amount of water while in the bath and began to have a severe and life-threatening reaction to ingesting the fluid.

A Terrifying Ordeal

Katie says Elly had never swallowed water while in the bath before and didn’t think it was anything to worry about until her little girl began struggling to breathe.

The young mum says she knew that it was unsafe to give her baby anything more than a few sips of water, but never imagined the amount she had consumed in the bath could lead to water intoxication. She is now urging parents to be aware of the potential dangers.

“I just want to make a Public Service Announcement,” she wrote on Facebook. “Water intoxication is very real and can happen so easily. Please offer babies 6-12 months no more than 60ml of water in a 24 hour period.”

Safe And Sound

While Katie confirmed that Elly’s condition had improved significantly since her hospitalisation on July 9, and she was fortunate to have no water enter her lungs, the mum admits she will never forget the experience.

Sharing a picture from the hospital where her daughter is recovering, Katie reiterated the need for parents to take her warning seriously. “Just because your baby is close to a year old doesn’t mean they can have more than the recommended amount of water,” she said. “My daughter is a year old in three weeks and here we are.”

What a terrifying consequence for something that can happen so easily to even the most vigilant of parents. We’re just glad to hear that Elly is on her way to a full recovery.

Have you experienced an unexpected health emergency with your child? Share your story in the comments.

You May Also Be Interested In:

Meghan Markle Mum-Shamed Over Outing With Archie
Watch This Pregnant Mum’s Bump Change In Just 12Hrs
Do You Really Need A Baby On Board Sticker?

  • What a scary experience. vI wouldn’t have thought either this could be so dangerous.

    Reply

  • So terrifying; glad the outcome wasn’t as bad as it could have been.

    Reply

  • Wow that’s terrifying! I wonder how she drank the water though, surely her head wasn’t in the water.

    Reply

  • My kids drank more than 60ml of water a day. I didn’t realise the recommended amount was so low. I have always allowed them to have access to a water bottle.

    Reply

  • My daughter fainted one time from over heating as a baby and went into a fit. Although I rang a 000 and spoke to a emergency person and she ended up being okay once cooled, it was completely traumatising.

    Reply

  • Poor little bub and so easy to happen I’d think.

    Reply

  • Very scary!

    Reply

  • How scary! I would never have thought a small amount of water could be so dangerous!

    Reply

  • This sounds awful and it’s hard to stop them from drinking bath or shower water if they’re determined to.

    Reply

  • This isn’t something I would have thought would be so life threatening. Parents need to be so careful.

    Reply

  • This must have been such a scary experience!

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?

No picture uploaded yet
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.

Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like

Loading…

Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating
Join