Aussie mum of four is warning parents to check meds carefully before administering them to children after her twins ended up in hospital.
Sharing in a popular Facebook group the mum warned, “Please please please, I urge you parent’s, carers, grandparent to double check, triple check medication before you give it to kid’s. Ex mother in law accidentally gave both my twins the wrong medication this morning and ended up in hospital.”
The boys were accidentally given catapres instead of Ritalin.
Roberta told MoM that she understands accidents do happen, but people need to be vigilant of the dangers.
“We are all busy, run off our feet and rushing around and it take one thing and ur life is turned upside down.
“Unfortunately this is the second time it has happened to one of the boy’s, first time it was the same drug but a lot worse and was a matter of life or death. Dosage was super high and wasn’t looking great at all. It was administered by an educator at day care. This drug gives me nightmares.”
She added, “the dose was high enough to drop their bp and heart rate. They were given an adult dose.”
Ritalin sa is a small white tablet, and so is catapres, so it’s an easy mistake to make and it’s lucky the error was picked up and medical advice sought.
Roberta shared that thankfully the boy’s are fine with no lasting damage and made a full recovery once the drug was out of their system. Phew!
It certainly pays to check first and even get someone else to double check if you can.
Share your comments below.