An 11-year-old boy had a very close call after a Samsung tablet burnt a hole in his bed while he slept.

Callum Hewkin had taken the gadget into his room so he could watch a programme in bed and had fallen asleep with the device next to him.

His parents awoke the next morning to find his room full of smoke and a big burn mark where the youngster’s head had been, reports Daily Mail.

His parents, Amy and Stewart Hewkin have spoken out about the terrifying ordeal, which fire crews said could have been fatal for the whole family.

Mrs Hewkin, 33, was woken by her son last Thursday morning, who believed his tablet was stuck to the bed, and with her husband, Mr Hewkin, 32, entered his room to discover the tablet – which was minutes away from catching fire.

Tried This? RATE IT Now…

image of little bellies organic carrot and sweetcorn green pea stars
Little Bellies Organic Carrot and Sweetcorn Green Pea Stars

Submitting your rating…

The couple said the tablet had left a melted hole in his bedding and mattress to the metal springs.


They highlighted they had no idea their son had snuck the four-year-old gadget into his room after they went to bed, leaving it on charge for up to nine hours, as they enforce a strict no electricals at night rule.

Mr Hewkin said: ‘The last thing anyone wants is to wake up and find their child seriously injured or dead because a tablet or phone has set fire in their room.

‘We feel like we’ve had a lucky escape – Callum’s life could have been at risk.

‘We had no idea he even had his tablet in his room, he had snuck it into bed with him because he wanted to watch something in bed.’

Fire crews told Mr Hewkin had the gadget been left for another 10 minutes, it could have started a serious blaze which could even have been fatal for the whole family.

Callum, who was using the original charger with his device, has been left feeling stressed and anxious at school following the ordeal but miraculously escaped uninjured.

The couple has urged other parents to do another check on their kids to make sure they don’t have their tablets or phones with them in bed.

Share your comments below

Read more:

  • Oh my goodness, this is serious ! Thank God, nothing worse happened !


  • This is why I never let my kids take theirs to bed, very scary


  • not sure how many times people need to be told not to fall asleep with these things on their beds! They get hot! Use your brains and stop trying to blame the manufacturer! This has been a stupid problem for years

    • I agree, they have warned about this many times.


  • How scary. This really shouldn’t happen.


  • Very dangerous – was it faulty in some way?


  • Oh dear, I have one that’s around 5 years old. I never leave it on the bed or charge it on the bed though. It gets charged on the floor. Very lucky the boy wasn’t hurt or the whole house burnt down.


  • Scary!! It could have been so much worse!!! :-(


  • The whole bed could have caught alight. Very scary and a good warning to others.


  • This is really scary and an important reminder that their should be smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors in every bedroom in the house.


Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?

No picture uploaded yet
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.

Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like


Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating