A really delicious baked pasta with a secret sauce for the whole family.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 500g Pennette Rigate
- 3/4 cup water reserved from cooking the pasta
- 1 medium size brown onion sliced
- 2 zucchinis cut in strips
- 90g Haloumi cheese
- 1 tin creamed corn (420g)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C. Cook pasta in a pot of boiling water and a pinch of salt according to instructions on the packet (usually I bring the 5 litres of water to the boil, add salt and pasta, cook till they are tender).
- While the pasta is cooking, prepare the rest of the ingredients: Heat oil in a large size frying pan and sauté onion till soft but not brown. Add haloumi cheese, and stir frequently for 2 minutes when the cheese started to brown, add zucchini and cook for another minute, season with salt and pepper. Add creamed corn to warm through. Turn off heat.
- Drain the pasta and reserve 3/4 cup of the water. Transfer the pasta to a large baking pan, mix in veggies and cheese and combine well with reserved water. Sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese on top and bake for 15 minutes or golden brown. Serve with salad.
The secret is out: you don't have to use tomato pasta sauce in this pasta bake. Vegetarian pasta can be tasty with this creamed corn in a tin. A quick solution and easy substitute for Béchamel sauce.