This sweet dough recipe is perfect to use with the Sticky pull apart bun recipe or you can add spices like nutmeg, cinnamon or dried fruit.
Ingredients (serves 12)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 1/4 tsp dry yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 3/4 cups plain flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- Add warm water to the milk in a bowl. Sprinkle the yeast on top, then sprinkle 1 tsp sugar; set aside, undisturbed, until foamy, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Whisk the melted butter, egg yolk and vanilla into the yeast mixture until combined. In a large bowl, whisk the flour, the remaining sugar and the salt. Make a well in the centre, add the yeast mixture and stir with a wooden spoon to make a thick sticky dough. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead until soft and elastic, about 5 minutes. Roll into a ball.
- Brush a large bowl with butter. Add the dough, coating it lightly with the butter. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise at room temperature until the dough is doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Turn the dough out of the bowl and knead briefly to release excess air; re-form into a ball and return to the bowl cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Follow the Sticky Pull Apart bun recipe or use for your own recipe.