- Makes 18
- 45 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 11 Ingredients
If you’re looking for a quick easy cake to whip up for a morning tea this will surely impress. A light fluffy cake the walnuts add a beautiful crunch and the bursts of blueberries throughout keep the cake nice and moist.
Ingredients (makes 18 squares)
- 150 g butter, softened at room temperature
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup walnuts roughly chopped
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 punnet fresh blueberries
- 250 g mascarpone
- 100 g icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease and line a 20x30cm rectangular baking tin with greaseproof paper.
- Cream together the butter, sugar and vanilla essence until pale and fluffy. Add in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift the flour into the bowl and genlty fold through the using a large spoon or spatula, add in the walnuts and blueberries and gently fold through. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and spread evenly and then bake for 25-30minutes until golden and risen. Leave to cool in the tin, then turn out onto a rack to allow to cool completely before icing.
- To make the icing, sift the icing sugar into a bowl, add in the mascarpone and lemon juice and whisk together until smooth. Spread over the cake, then cut into squares and top each one with a blueberry.