- Serves 8
- 2 hours
- Difficulty Easy
- 8 Ingredients
This was my older sisters favourite, but we all liked it! Mum would alternate our favorites every weekend, so we ate it often. My children grew up on it and it was also a tradition in my husbands family. Easy to make. Inexpensive. It goes a long way and is oh so yummy!
Ingredients (serves 8)
- enough to spread on Bread Butter
- ^ slices with crust removed Bread
- 5 Eggs
- 1Litre Milk
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla essence
- Sprinkle Nutmeg
- 1/3 cup Sultanas
- Preheat oven to 160 deg
- Lightly grease a large baking dish
- Cut the crustless slices of bread into triangles and lay in dish for the best fit (you can be decorative but make sure the whole base is evenly covered).
- In a large mixing bowl beat 5 eggs on a medium speed and add milk gradually.
- Add vanilla essence and sugar and continue to mix for 1-2 minutes or until thoroughly mixed.
- Pour mixture over the bread.
- Sprinkle nutmeg on top.
- Place in oven and cook for 60 - 90 minutes (check every now and again).
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving
This is out of my mum's recipe diary, it is a favorite for cooler months although she would make it year round.