- Serves 8
- 40 minutes
- Difficulty Hard
- 10 Ingredients
These salted caramel macarons will be a hit at any afternoon tea!
Ingredients (serves 8)
- ½ cup (80g) icing sugar
- ¼ cup (30g) almond meal
- 1 Tbsp Dutch cocoa powder
- 1 egg white, at room temperature
- 1 Tbsp caster sugar
- SALTED CARAMEL FILLING
- 25g Weight Watchers Canola Spread
- 1½ Tbsp icing sugar, sifted
- 3 tsp caramel topping
- pinch of sea salt flakes
- Preheat the oven to 150°C. Line 1 large baking tray with baking paper.
- Process the icing sugar, almond meal and cocoa powder in a food processor for 2 minutes. Strain through a fine sieve into a large bowl. Use an electric mixer to beat the egg white in a medium bowl until soft peaks form. Beat in the caster sugar until thick and glossy. Fold the egg white mixture through the almond mixture until combined.
- Spoon the mixture into a piping bag fitted with a 1cm-plain nozzle. Pipe 16 x 3cm-wide discs, 3cm apart, onto the prepared tray.
- Set the macaron shells aside for 20 minutes or until a skin forms on top. Bake the shells for 20 minutes or until just crisp. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, to make salted caramel filling, whisk the canola spread and icing sugar in a small bowl until pale. Whisk in the caramel topping and salt until combined.
- Using a small palette knife or the back of a spoon, spread the filling onto the bases of half of the macaron shells. Top with the remaining shells and sandwich together. Place in the fridge for 4 hours or overnight to soften slightly. Bring the macarons to room temperature before serving
At only 5 SmartPoints value per serve, this delicious recipe is perfect for a treat.