- Serves 8
- 50 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 11 Ingredients
An easy to make and great tasting soup for dinner.
Ingredients (serves 8)
- 50g butter
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 kilo Finely sliced onions
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 4 Crushed garlic cloves
- 250ml dry white wine or small glass sherry
- 2 Tbsp plain flour
- 1/2 bunch finely chopped sage leaves
- 1.3 litres Strong good quality beef stock
- 8 slices bread
- 140g grated cheese - gruyere is best.
Notes... You can also cut up the cheesy toast into cubes for crutons which is nice too.
- Melt butter in oil and add onions. Cook gently with lid on for 20 minutes until soft. Stirring frequently so they don't burn.
- Add sugar garlic and flour. Then stir in the hot stock and wine slowly to make sure flour is well mixed and not lumpy.
- Simmer for 15 - 20 minutes to infuse flavours and add sage. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Whilst simmering, toast the bread then put the grated cheese on top of the toast and melt under grill so it sticks to the toast.
- Serve in a bowl with the cheesy bread on top.
Recipe Sage and onion soup
You may also like…
You May Like
Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.