- Serves 16
- Makes 16
- 60 minutes
- Difficulty Medium
- 15 Ingredients
This dairy and gluten free festive recipe is delicious, good for you and so easy to make. The mince filling is the best I have ever come across and I highly recommend it. However don’t feel you have to have the exact same ingredients for the mince mixture – use up what you’ve got. If you don’t have ginger or fresh apricot don’t worry about it just omit them. The festive season can be complicated enough…at least the baking should be kept simple!
A small note about dried fruit:
Where possible always opt for organic dried fruit that contain no preservatives – particularly sulphur dioxide. This additive, which is designed to extend shelf life and improve the colour of it’s food can play havoc on sensitive tummies and young children. It is often listed on a label ingredient as 220/E220. This preservative is commonly known to cause symptoms such as asthma, bronchitis, diarrhoea and allergic reactions and skin issues – just to name a few.
Ingredients (serves 16 | makes 16 16)
- Dairy & Gluten Free Short Crust Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups almond meal
- 1 cup sorghum flour (or 2 1/2 cups of almond meal)
- 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 250g fruit mince filling (see below)
- Fruit Mince Filling Ingredients:
- 175g sultanas (or a mix including raisons and currants)
- 1 fresh apricot, pitted
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Zest and juice of half an orange
- Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 150 C (300 F) and grease tart shells.
- Combine almond meal, honey, oil, vanilla and egg into a large bowl and mix by hand until you form a soft dough.
- Gather dough into a ball and wrap in baking paper or cling wrap and refrigerate while preparing the filling.
- To make the mince filling place all the ingredients into a food processor and blitz to the desired consistency. I like mine quite smooth.
- Get the dough out from the fridge and carefully roll out between 2 sheets of baking paper and cut into circles for the tart shells and stars for the toppers.
- Fill tart shells in your muffin tray with 1 tablespoon of the fruit mince and arrange stars over the top of the mince pies.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden. Allow to cool completely before turning out of the tin.
Allergy information: dairy, gluten and peanut free.