Who says that comfort food can’t be healthy? Make the corn bread in advance to save time. Alternatively, serve the curry with basmati rice.
Curry serves 4
Corn bread serves 12
Cooking time: 1 hour
1 tbs olive oil*
1 large brown onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tbs grated fresh ginger
2 tbs good quality curry powder
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
250g cauliflower, cut into small florets
2 cups reduced salt vegetable stock* or reduced salt chicken stock
2 x 400g cans no added salt diced tomatoes
Pinch of caster sugar
Black pepper, to season
600g skinless, boneless white fish fillets (like blue eye or ling)
100g baby spinach leaves
1 lemon, halved
2 tbs chopped flat leaf parsley
Canola oil spray*
1 cup plain flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp chilli powder
1 cup instant polenta (cornmeal)
2 eggs, lightly whisked*
1 cup buttermilk*
1 tbs olive oil*
1 corn cob, kernels removed
1 cup grated reduced fat cheddar cheese*
*Products available with the Heart Foundation Tick. Remember all fresh fruit and vegetables automatically qualify for the Tick.
- Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced). Grease a 6cm x 9cm x 20cm loaf pan with cooking spray and line with baking paper.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and chilli powder together into a medium bowl. Stir in the polenta. Make a well in the centre. Add the egg, buttermilk and oil. Stir to combine then stir in the corn and cheese.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Bake for 35 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand in the pan for 5 minutes then turn onto a wire rack. Cut into slices and serve with curry fish stew.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan or saucepan over a medium heat. Add onion garlic, ginger, curry powder, turmeric and cinnamon, cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes or until onion is soft. Add cauliflower and toss to coat in the spices.
- Stir in the stock, water, tomatoes, sugar, and season with freshly ground black pepper. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Cut fish into large pieces. Add to tomato mixture. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until fish is cooked through. Remove from the heat, add the spinach. Squeeze over the lemon juice, stir through parsley and serve with rice or corn bread.