- Difficulty Easy
Generally the consumption of fish is recommended 2 – 3 times a week for good health – this is definitely not the case with these fishy cupcakes, they are most definitely an ‘occasional’ food, but what better occasion than a birthday party!
I am not the most artistic person, but I think this cupcakes recipe are super cute for something fairly easy.
- At least 6 cup cakes, this will make 4 fish
- Butter Cream Icing (see recipe below)
- A variety of different coloured food dies
- 1 packet of chocolate buttons
- A few chocolate chips and a skewer OR store brought icing pens
- Bake a batch of basic cupcake (see recipe here) and allow them to completely cool. If you have time, freezing the cupcakes will make them easier to work with as you will get fewer crumbs. Trim the top of your cupcakes so they are flat and turn them upside down, as shown in the picture below.
- Cut 2 of your 6 cupcakes in half, down the middle and position a half against a whole cupcake to create a fishy shape.
- Make a batch of butter cream icing (see recipe here – this will be enough for 4 fish). Divide the icing into mixing several bowls and combine several drops of food colouring.
- Use a butter knife to cover each fish with the desired colour icing. Use the icing to assist stick the tail onto the fish. Use a hot knife (sit a knife in a cup of hot water for a few seconds, remove from the cup and thoroughly dry it), to smooth over your icing.
- Once your cakes are iced, decorate with chocolate buttons. Start from the tail and work back towards the head, slightly overlapping the chocolate buttons to form scales. Add a few chocolate buttons for fins top and bottom. Also, add a chocolate button eye.
- If using choc chips: Melt a few choc chips in the microwave and reserve a few as they are. Use a skewer dipped in the melted choc chips to ‘paint’ on a mouth and use a small amount of melted chocolate on the back of a choc chip to ‘glue’ a choc chip onto the chocolate button for an eye.
I let mine set in the fridge for 10mins before carefully sliding a spatula underneath and transferring to a serving plate. You could, of course, get creative and add some bubbles, seaweed, starfish or waves to your background.
Recipe Fishy cupcakes recipe
You may also like…
You May Like
Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.