Sweet strawberry compote over soft fluffy gluten free pancakes… this not only looks pretty, it tastes really good too!
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 2/3 cup Almond meal
- 2 Eggs
- 1/4 cup Milk
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla paste
- 2 -3 TBS Rice malt syrup, honey or brown sugar
- STRAWBERRY COMPOTE
- 1 punnet Strawberries
- 1/8 cup Water
- 1 stick or 1/2 tsp Cinnamon ground
- Slivered almonds to serve
- Greek yoghurt to serve
- Cut strawberries into small pieces, and add to a small saucepan with the water and cinnamon. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the strawberries have started to break down and thicken. Remove cinnamon stick if using
- To make the pancakes: In a small bowl mix almond meal, eggs, milk, vanilla and sweetener together until you have a smooth batter.
- Heat up a small non-stick fry pan and add a knob of butter or some spray cooking oil. Ladle some pancake mixture in and cook over medium heat until edges are cooked through (3-5 minutes) and air bubbles appear. Flip the pancakes and cook on the other side for another couple of minutes Repeat with rest of the mixture, and keep pancakes covered once cooked to keep them warm
- Stack pancakes and spoon over strawberry mixture. Dollop with yoghurt, sprinkle on some almonds for crunch and eat immediately
I make my pancakes in pikelet size, and cook them in a silicone egg ring so I can make them thicker than usual.