- Serves 6
- 3.15 hours
- Difficulty Easy
- 15 Ingredients
This delicious lamb shank recipe is courtesy of Buderim Ginger and Christina Batista, retro foodie goddess and MasterChef finalist.
Notes from Christina: “There is something about slow cooking that takes me to my happy place. I do mine in my slow cooker which is one of the best inventions for busy people who want to still eat beautiful home cooked meals. I turn my slow cooker on before I head out for work and when I get home with the kids in tow, tired and hungry we are greeted with a smell that can only be described as heavenly. While everyone gets ready for dinner I quickly whip up some polenta and within 30 minutes we have some amazing slow cooked comfort food for dinner and are left with very full bellies. Next time you’re after some comfort food that will warm you from the inside and take you to your happy place give this dish a try!”
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 6 lamb shanks
- 2 Red onions, roughly diced
- 1/2 Cup sultanas (you can use raisins)
- 3 Tbsp Buderim Ginger Original Ginger Marmalade
- 1 Tbsp Tomato sauce
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 200ml stout
- 1 Ltr chicken stock
- 1/2 small bunch mint, sliced
- 3 Sprigs rosemary
- 2 stalks spring onions, thinly sliced
- 3 Garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2-1 Cup cider vinegar
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Heat half the oil in a large casserole dish over a medium heat. Add your onions and a good pinch of salt and pepper and sauté until caramelised. Next add the Buderim Ginger Marmalade, tomato sauce, Worcestershire, sultanas, chicken stock, garlic and stout and give it a good stir, allow to simmer away until needed.
- Heat the other half of the oil in a large frying pan over a high heat. Place the shanks in the frying pan making sure that you don’t over crowd it (cook them in batches if you need to), browning them all over. Once browned add the rosemary to the pan for a minute or so and when it becomes fragrant turn the heat off.
- Gently place the shanks and rosemary into the casserole dish, pour over the stock, cover with a lid and turn the heat to as low as possible (this is where I place it all in my electric slow cooker, turn it on and then leave them to cook all day) and cook for 3 hours or until the meat falls off the bone.
- Very carefully remove the lamb shanks from the casserole dish (or slow cooker) and place on your serving platter in a warm spot until needed. Using a stick blender (you can use a normal blender, although I find it much easier with a stick blender) blitz the sauce until it becomes smooth. Then turn the heat up high and reduce the sauce to just over half.
- While your sauce is reducing place mint leaves, spring onions and cider vinegar in a bowl and set aside until needed.
- Once your sauce is reduced ladle over the lamb shanks. Sprinkle over your pickled mint leaves and spring onions. Pour the remaining sauce into a gravy boat and serve on the side.
Recipe Lamb shanks
You may also like…
You May Like
Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.