This tasty capsicum sauce is an alternative to tomato sauce. It is sweet and without the sharp taste that tomato sometimes has, it also has that special roasted flavour.

Dettol_Liquid_Hand_Wash_main_image_625x430

Are your family’s hands as clean as they could be? Read the DETTOL Liquid Hand Wash reviews here

Ingredients (makes 2 Cups)

• 4 Medium size capsicums
  • 3/4 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 1/2 tsp Sea Salt

Method

1. Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees. Place capsicums on baking sheet lined with baking paper. Bake for 20 minutes till capsicums have completely collapsed and soft to touch.
  2. Let them cool for 5-10 minutes until you are able to handle. Peel skin, remove the membrane and de-seed.
  3. Add capsicums and sea salt to the blender. While the motor is operating, add oil in steady stream slowly till it becomes a smooth sauce. Taste and add more sea salt if you wish. Pour sauce into a sterilised jar.

Notes... This is really quick and easy, a simple and tasty sauce that can be used for pasta, and as a savoury sauce base in any other veggie bakes or cooking.

• This is a great alternative to tomato sauce.

• Sounds really delicious and easy. Will definetly try for Christmas lunch. I love the sweet taste of roasted capsicums.

• This sounds like a yummy, sweet sauce option.

• This tastes great is such a more healthy alternative to tomato sauce, or ketchup. It’s only when you make tomato sauce yourself do you fully realise how much sugar, salt and vinegar there is in it – thanks for this alternative.

• Thanks for the this sauce – the colour is simply gorgeous.

• Mmmmm, oven roasted capsicum !! this sauce must tickle my tongue. I’m definitely gonna make this !!

• Thanks for the recipe Missey Grace. I was wondering how long this sauce will last if stored in the fridge.

• Thanks for the question :)
      The sauce should keep for a whole week, although in my household the sauce tends to be consumed within days.
      You can add it to pancake mix and make beautiful savoury crepes, or add to lasagne sauce, even in the savoury muffins for additional flavour and colour.
      Hope this helps.

• Thanks for your reply. I doubt the sauce would last any more than a few days in my house too. I haven’t made it yet, but will soon as I’d like to use it on toast either for breakfast or as a snack. I love the flavour of capsicums. :)

• thanks that is majorly great to hear! thankyou

• wowza. who’da thought it was that easy !!

• that sounds like a great idea. we are always running out of sauce so i might try this recipe next time instead of buying. this sounds simple enough to make and makes for a great looking sauce :) cheers for sharing your recipe idea Missey

• Wow! Such a great flavour. Hope my daughter likes it too!

• I love it. I adore roasted capsicums. I would try adding some feta cheese as a possible variation. Thank you so much for sharing it!!

• Now this is a good idea too – fetta is the best.

• I am addicted to feta cheese! I would add it to everything! :-)

• A excellent sauce for my pasta with bacon,capsicum and onion,thanks!

• A great idea; thanks for sharing, we look forward to making it at home!.

• My My ! That sound really nice… never had capsicum sauce though…. looks really good…thanks..