This fabulous apple slice is great for lunch boxes or an afternoon tea. It freezes well f the family doesn't polish it off on the same day@ You can use any apples you have available – or even tinned apples.
Ingredients (makes 20 small pieces)
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 90g unsalted butter, melted
- 4 apples
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tbsp caster sugar (additional)
- 1.5 cups self raising flour
- icing sugar/mixture for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Grease or line an 18cm x 28cm baking tin.
- Mix the eggs, sugar and melted butter together in a bowl.
- Grate the apples, leaving the skin on, and squeeze out excess liquid. Add vanilla and extra caster sugar to the apples, and set aside.
- Add the flour into the egg mix, and stir with a fork to make a runny batter.
- Pour two thirds of the batter into a baking tin to cover the base.
- Spread apple mix evenly over the batter, then top with remaining batter. Don't worry if it doesn't entirely cover the apple mixture, it spreads when cooking.
- Place tray in the oven and bake for 35–40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool then sprinkle with icing sugar mixture.
- Cut into small squares and freeze any leftovers for the lunchbox.