I’ve often wondered about the meaning of ‘spring clean’. Do we really have to wait for the weather to turn in our favour to move into action and clean out the things in our lives which we really don’t need?

We often wait for the right moment to take action; the perfect time where everything aligns and we have the time to do a big ‘Spring clean’ to really break free of the things in our lives which not only aren’t needed, but in many cases just weigh us down.

When it comes to the most common form of spring cleaning – the big house clean up – I’ve learned that de-cluttering is one of the most rewarding exercises possible. We live with so many things attached to us which do nothing more than clutter our lives, our thoughts, our space and our freedom. I do understand however, that when it comes to the spring clean, it can be a case of easier said than done. Sometimes just the thought of de-cluttering is overwhelming – you just know the amount of stuff to get through in the house and garage is too much to even contemplate starting. But despite what can seem a daunting task at first, the great thing about a spring clean is that you don’t have to do it all at once.

A tip – start with just one small room at a time and be unforgiving – if you haven’t worn it, used it, loved it or needed it in the last 6 months then bin it or donate it. Start with the bathroom – how many half used bottles of facial enhancers do you really need? How many hair volumizers does it take to create body in your hair? Get rid of them. Your reward? A clean bathroom, a spring in your step as you’re no longer weighed down by useless things and a happy man who will certainly reward you for freeing up space for his grooming kit!

BP0015

Author: Elka Whalan

Elka Whalan is a much loved and recognized member of the Australian media landscape, both for her athletic career, and her media commentary. A dual Olympian, Elka is now a mother of two young children and can be seen regularly on Sunrise and The Morning Show. Recently Elka also became an Ambassador for Healthy Bones Australia and REXONA, and is passionate about keeping fit, healthy, and keeping the romance alive in her marriage.

• Love the feeling of chucking out unwanted and unneeded junk.

• Nothing like a declutter to feel lighter.

• Some good ideas. I do not like clutter and am always clearing things out that I am not using.

• I have a man who doesn’t like throwing things out! He thinks he will eventually find the time to fix it or it will come in handy eventually.. Makes throwing things out so much harder when I pack boxes to be thrown and find the box half empty with hubby picking things back out!

• The trouble is once you start it can take forever to get that thorough clean your needing

• nice article – i love the light, fresh feeling after every spring clean!

• I spring clean and seem to end up with just as much junk as when I started

• we’ve been decluttering a lot – as an older retired couple we don’t want to leave a big mess for the kids to sort when we go. Besides, we’ve found it is stuff we just don’t need!

• I have found that moving is a great way to help declutter

• The best money we spend is paying for a cleaner to come in once a month and do all the stuff that’s too hard or fiddly or we don’t have time for. We keep the place clean in between the cleaner’s visits, but it really helps to keep things under control, and there’s less to do when it comes to “spring cleaning” if we keep on top of it regularly.

• To get a cleaner once a month is a brilliant idea, to what extent does she? clean and her prices?

• we have been working through a major declutter and it has been an interesting journey

• It feels like spring every month! I’m always cleaning!

• thank you, it’s time for me to do it.

• I’m not really into waiting for ‘spring’ to clean up the house. I do a big de-clutter every couple of months.

• I need to declutter real bad, It’s getting started that is the problem then finding a way to get rid of it if it doesn’t fit in the rubbish bin… I have been meaning to post things on Ziilch but have been to busy lately. One day l will get there, if not there is council clean up coming later in the year.