Two Victorian teenagers have been hospitalised and four others required medical attention after they took MDMA while on school camp in Mount Buller.

Two Victorian girls have been hospitalised, and four other students required medical attention, after they took the party drug MDMA, commonly known as ecstasy, while at school camp.

The students were visiting Mount Buller in Victoria’s alpine region when the incident took place, with one girl overdosing on the drug and a 17-year-old boy now facing charges news.com.au reports.

A Worrying Trend

This latest incident comes just days after a two-week inquest into the use of MDMA at music festivals, with almost 80% of attendees found to have taken the drug.

“The user experiences feelings of euphoria, increased energy, intimacy and emotional warmth, sensitivity to touch, and a distortion of time and of the senses,” Medical News Today said.

“MDMA can interfere with the body’s ability to regulate temperature and it can raise the heart rate to a dangerous level. MDMA can also be addictive and research suggests that long term cognitive problems may develop in some users.”

Five people, all aged between 18 and 23, have died in the last two years with their use of MDMA cited as the primary cause.

Something Has To Be Done

The two girls have since been discharged from hospital but police say that they will conduct a thorough investigation, with the support of the school, with one student expected to be charged with trafficking a drug of dependence.

“As soon as staff became aware of the incident, police and emergency services were called,” Gail Hardman, principal of Seymour College, said.

“Support has been provided and will continue to be provided to students affected by the incident.”

How do you think the problem of widespread drug use amongst teenagers should be addressed? Let us know in the comments.

You May Also Be Interested In:

Parents Want Answers After Primary Student Brings Drugs To School
Is Marijuana Really Safe During Pregnancy?
Newborn Removed From Mum After False Drug Reading From Lunch

• Awareness of the effects of taking certain drugs and knowing cautionary measures during times when they experience any complications is vital. I hope more information and research plus support gets to our younger generation.

• It is terrifying how wide spread drug use is becoming.

• It’s very scary that this happened on a school camp. I bet the teachers need some support too.

• Education about the effects of drugs on the body is easily available and taught, and yet people are still willing to risk their health for a high. Why? I think this article also makes us realise that even if you pill test at concerts/festivals, that is only one small part of the whole drug dilemma.

• When I was in high school people were so casual about drugs. I lost my entire friendship group because I didn’t support drug use and didn’t want to be around it. Some teens just don’t think the worst could happen to them or their friends.

• Open talk and firmer education … more honest discussions and lay it on thick what the outcome can be

• Often talks/presentations from people that have experienced terrible repercussions because of taking drugs has an impact. It is a confronting form of education but for the appropriate age group could be useful.

• I honestly think that we need to be showing our teens the most worst case scenario of taking these drugs – Death. The education isn’t getting through to them so maybe we need to shock them into not taking them – show them what would happen to their family if they died from taking just 1 pill. They need to learn they are not invincible and that one pill could kill them.

I have a pre-teen and I openly have discussions with her about things like peer pressure and drugs and all those things that teens want to do to be “cool” like their friends and fit in. I am a huge advocate to my kids about not being sheep, to tread their own path and not rely on what other people think about them. That it is perfectly ok to say NO!.

I hope these teens had a good wake up call and that they spread the word now that drugs really aren’t that great! They should be very thankful that this didn’t end as badly as it could have.

I also hope that in all honesty the person who got them the drugs and the kids who paid for them have to go through the court system and see all aspects of what this does. I know that sounds harsh but if you do something wrong and illegal then you need to accept your wrong doings and just justice take is course, too many people are getting let of and not convicted of petty crimes so it’s not setting the example or precedence to others – hence why our drug use in Australia is increasing rapidly!

• This problem needs to be addressed with continuous education with a particular focus on the possible outcomes of participating in dangerous and risk taking behaviour.

• Probably the best prevention is still to educate and inform all children from primary age onwards about the harmful and dangerous aspects of alcohol & drugs and maybe get ex addicts to schools and sharing their stories

• We need more airport type drug scanners. They probably worth mega bucks though.

• Kids should be dealt with appropriately and do a further investigation of the school.

• How do these kids have access to Ecstasy is beyond understanding to me!!

• This is just so sad. The only thing we snuck into our school camps were sweets and chips. Things have most certainly changed since I was at school!

• Stupidity at its finest. I’m sorry but one doesn’t need drugs to have a good time. How very sad.

• The high we got at school camp was being able to talk, laugh and be daredevils (yep jumping off that waterfall was pretty daring), not taking drugs. Sad to think they resort to this for….. fun? I don’t get the whole “I had the best time, I can’t remember a thing” idea. Not sure what the answer is.